Prussian Guard Toy Soldiers 1870

Kanemono

Gill they are new figures, but well done in the old style. I don't know the manufacturer of these though. Just like vintage English figures have a unique style, so do German figures of that era. I personally think the German and French figures were better painted than the English ones I collect. Attached is a figure by Hyde from the 1900's probably of a German colonial soldier

IMG_2896.JPG

Hello everyone,

Dirk is correct that these figures are new (1980s). These figures were a commission from a toy soldier company. I sculpted the figures, made cold cast silicone rubber molds, cast waxes, then cast the waxes in bronze. I cast the originals in bronze so the figures would be able to withstand the high temperature need to create a vulcanized silicone rubber mold. I cast a couple of sets for my self in pewter and painted them. I also sculpted a set of Buffalo Soldiers and a set of Apache Indians. Here are some of the bronzes from both sets. The rifle barrels are extra thick to allow for shrinkage of the metal and the arm pins are extra long to allow them to be peened over the arms.

post-185184-0-84637400-1558880841_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dirk. I found that making toy soldiers is hard. The figures should look like toys not like highly detailed 54mm figures so they should have detail but not too much. The source for the figures are a series of drawings of Buffalo Soldiers and Indians by Fredrick Remington for Century Magazine.

Dick