StuG III Ausf. F/8 - Kharkov 1943

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

I'm afraid there will be not much time for modeling during the summer time but I would like to start the next project today. It's the DRAGON 1/35 Sturmgeschuetz (assault gun) with winter tracks. I will add some new 1/35 scale MiniArt Panzer Riders. This new figure kit (No. 35075) was released recently. Boxart and sprues:

31Mai00.jpg

31Mai01.jpg

31Mai02.jpg

Proud Kraut

The figures: Five Panzer Riders with a lot of equipment. I ordered two sets to modifie some of the figures.

31Mai00a.jpg

Proud Kraut

Still try to find out, if the German tanks that fought in Kharkov in early 1943 had still the dark grey or already the new dark yellow painting (under their winter camo of course).

The Meatcan

Lars, you tease! Getting us all interested in your new StuG project now but not finishing it until after summer. LOL

Seriously, looks like a neat idea and I will be following to see the future final result.

As for the underlying paint color, I'd think most likely dunkelgelb, although in real life I suppose there could have been some vehicles that were at the tail end of the gray finish. I'm no expert though!

Terry

Proud Kraut

Lars, you tease! Getting us all interested in your new StuG project now but not finishing it until after summer. LOL

Seriously, looks like a neat idea and I will be following to see the future final result.

As for the underlying paint color, I'd think most likely dunkelgelb, although in real life I suppose there could have been some vehicles that were at the tail end of the gray finish. I'm no expert though!

Terry

Thanks Terry, dunkelgelb, that's what I supposed. I'll start the StuG next week. Don't know how fast that will be finished.

Lars

Proud Kraut

Chassis with wheels. What you see are 93! parts. These "Smart kits" are killing me.

06jun01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks Dennis!

Here's why I purchased exact this kit. It has the extendet winter tracks.

TR2.jpg

Proud Kraut

Just started with the upper hull. I was surprised to see that the kit contains main interior parts.

10jun01.jpg

Proud Kraut

At the moments it looks like I failed bending the photo etched protective grid (term?) of the periscope the correct way. The plastic grid looks a little bit clumsy so maybe I'll give it a second try tomorrow.

10jun02.jpg

The Meatcan

Lars, I agree that the PE protective cage will look far superior to the plastic version. No doubt bending the PE properly is a pain in the butt but the aesthetic results will be worth your efforts. Of course, that's easy for me to say! Good luck on all that bending!

Terry

Proud Kraut

Lars, I agree that the PE protective cage will look far superior to the plastic version. No doubt bending the PE properly is a pain in the butt but the aesthetic results will be worth your efforts. Of course, that's easy for me to say! Good luck on all that bending!

Terry

Thanks Terry, I gave it another shot. Far away from "perfect" but looks really better than the plastic part.

11Jun01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks Mike!

After painting the wheels and the tracks and applying the decals the StuG received two layers of hairspray.

18Jun01.jpg