Iraq M90 helmet with blue paint

Bob Hudson

This M90 helmet looks like it was made in tan, then overpainted with blue and then with green.

If it was just green I'd wonder if it was Iraqi Republican Guard, but `not with that blue undercoat.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

One of the holes in the shell is missing the plug for it, so one part of the suspension is not attached to the shell.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Interesting helmet - I have not seen one like it with this color.

William

That blue paint drove me crazy because it is a color normally reserved for UN Peacekeepers. But this morning I found out they used that color for Iraqi police/security forces helmets and uniforms.

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 10.06.30 AM.png

police.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very interesting helmet, the dark green does look somewhat similar to Republican guard helmets. I have seen blue helmets and web gearvdiscribed as air force but not such a vibrant color.

I dont think it is Iraqi police because while some Iraqi security forces for Saddam era helmets after the US invasion and reformation, they were usually the later style of helmet and were not used for very long so I do not think it would have had time to be repainted before they were phased out. The last picture appears to be of hard hats.

It's a head scratcher, whatever the case nice helmet!

• 1 year later...

Not sure on the blue, its not air force as its not the correct blue. Not sure why anyone would say Republican Guard because of a specific color? They wore the same color helmets as the rest of the army and the same mix of styles. My article in Military Trader from several years ago discusses actual RG made items such as berets and insignia as well as uniforms. Helmets were pretty universal. I would go with the police but the Iraqis did have a guard element at the UN compound in Baghdad prior to the 2003 invasion.   Scott.

• 3 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Scott, I didnt express myself too well, the typos didnt help either. I wasnt trying to say that the Republican Guard had a single specific color of green or that all green helmets are Republican Guard, just that I have seen some RG soldiers wearing originally tan helmets over painted with a similar shade of dark green. In the absence of any real leads at all I figured might as well throw that out there. 

George