Picklehaube help

nkumburis

All,

Ive had this picklehaube offered to me for $900 but my knowledge is limited. What do yall think about it? - Nick K

post-185312-0-45033500-1560768223_thumb.jpeg

post-185312-0-23323900-1560768233_thumb.jpeg

post-185312-0-73735300-1560768241_thumb.jpeg

post-185312-0-95530800-1560768252_thumb.jpeg

post-185312-0-34417200-1560768261_thumb.jpeg

I agree that it is overpriced. It is a common Prussian enlisted man's spike helmet with no special features and is missing the chinstrap and cockades. It is also out of shape from hanging on a nail for many years.

I agree with the above statements. IF you can find an original chinstrap, that alone will cost you around $200, and the rosettes another $100. Way overpriced,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
ww1czechlegion

I too recommend the pickelhaubes.com forum, where I've been a member for several years, and personally know many of the members there. The members there are very helpful, and very knowledgeable.

I have quite a number of reference books, and use some of them more than others. For an English Language book for beginning collectors, I'd recommend Jim Turinetti's "A Guide to Collecting the Headgear of the 1914 German Army"....Helmets, Tschakos, Tschapkas and Busbies. He self-publishes it, so it's spiral bound, and most of the photos are B&W, but there are some color photos also. His website is: www.kaiserhelmets.com

This book of Jim's has excellent information for beginning and advanced collectors on all aspects of Imperial German Headgear, and I highly recommend it.

As a side note, Dan Griffin bought the M15 Prussian enlisted helmet from me that he currently has for sale on his website. It's a nice looking helmet that I found off an estate sale. I bought it for the chinstrap. I had it for sale on the WAF forum e-stand about a year ago, where he acquired it from me.

I sometimes put extra helmets up for sale on eBay, and currently have 3-listed under my same user ID that I use here: ww1czechlegion

Best Regards,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the Pickelhaube is overpriced. No chinstraps or cockades $250 to $300 is the max on this one. Just my 2 cents form the cheap seats.