Strafvollzugsbeamte Sword

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a Prison Police (Strafvollzugsbeamte) Officer sword at an Oklahoma militaria show over the weekend that I thought I would show. This is the Carl Eickhorn manufactured sword, in gold color, they called their catalog Nr. 1728. The identical sword with a silver colored hilt was titled their Sabel fur Justizbeamte Nr. 1763. These are difficult swords to find due to the small size of the Reichsjustizverwaltung.

At any rate, these swords were manufactured by several makers but the Eickhorn example is perhaps the most impressive with a large sculpted eagle head pommel and a very detailed hilt. Another interesting thing about this Eickhorn sword is that the same distinctive eagle and swastika motif found on the obverse langet is repeated on the reverse side. This sword was a registered design for Eickhorn and the hilt was always rendered in aluminum and either gilt plated or finished in white metal. This Eickhorn sword has been reproduced in brass casting but these with brass hilts are postwar fakes.

Another interesting thing about these swords were the sword knots that could be worn on them. Reichsjustizverwaltung regulations (DBeklV) published in 1942 listed both Faustriemen and Portepee but a cloth Troddel was not worn. An all green Faustriemen, or one with green and gold stripes in the ball, could be worn on short bayonets or swords. Portepee with either green and gold, or carmine and gold, stripes in the ball could be worn on both bayonets and swords. The regulations also state that either a Wehrmacht or a Polizei Portepee could also be worn on the swords depending upon the status of the wearer. So, a wide variety of sword knots could be worn by Justice- or Prison- Officials (Beamte). I have put a Polizei-Offizier Portepee on this particular sword as was allowed by regulations.

Prison sword.JPG

Prison sword Portepee.JPG

Prison sword close.JPG

Prison sword hilt back.JPG

Prison sword eagle.JPG

Very impressive ! Just a real beautiful sword. Eickhorn does make wonderful blades. Thank you for posting another great one, and congratulations.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I was happy to find this at the show. This sword was made for a very tall person as it has a long minty blade with the circa 1941 large squirrel holding sword Eickhorn logo barely visible beneath the huge langets.

One more to check off my wish list. B)

• 4 weeks later...