JAPANESE WWII SUBMARINER'S BADGE

bldrhouse

This is a Japanese Navy submarine school graduation badge...unfortunately, this is not a "good " badge

Tiger, thank you. don't mean to bug you but how can you tell? I was surprised the back was also red (laquered??).

z

Of the 22 basic naval badges 20 of them are proficiency badges, 2 badges issued for each of the areas of training ; i.e. gunnery, signals, torpedo. They were issued to enlisted men only, 1 badge in each of the schools for seamen and 1 in each of the schools for Petty Officers. Not everyone got a badge...only the man who was first in the class got the badge for that class.....except for the sub school and shooting badges that were issued to those who qualified, and as such they were "qualification" badges and a man could wear both a sub badge and a torpedo badge. So there are many more sub school badges. In terms of quality, there were about 4 different sub school badges in quality of materials and shape that were made. The badge you show is "flat" and that is NOT how any of the badges were shaped. The real badges were raised and shaped on the front. Early sub badges were bronze material and later badges steel and even later war badges aluminum but they were not flat. The real late war badges are "cheap" and hand painted and are hollow back and look terrible but they are real sub badges. A real pin on the back had a "coke bottle" shape and not straight like yours. The shape of the pin was needed to hold the badge on the uniform. Some of the later badges were painted a darker brown color and even a red brown color. Its mostly the shape and the pin on the front is a dead give away. They repro all the badges now and a few are not that bad but for the most part they are fairly easy to spot if you know what to look for.

Tiger, thank you for that detailed and clarifying discourse. Glad I inquired before continuing to bid.

z

Little? that was most impressive.

Now afraid to send you pix of the Japanese medals I've already bought..

z

sent yr info to Donley Auctions and their response:

Donley Auctions
11:32 (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gifReply
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Thank you for this information. We have added it to the item for everyone's benefit.
Linda Underwood

Send the pics and I'd take a look....its better to know if something is wrong. WE have ALL made mistakes and its better to know than not to.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about additional items you purchased. I only have the 2 pics of the sub badge. The sub badge is still a repro.

bldrhouse; I'm recovering from a concussion from ice hockey and my brain doesn't always type what I want it too. My wife has to correct things before I send them or explain them also.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about additional items you purchased. I only have the 2 pics of the sub badge. The sub badge is still a repro.

whew; thank you.

bldrhouse; I'm recovering from a concussion from ice hockey and my brain doesn't always type what I want it too. My wife has to correct things before I send them or explain them also.

argh! I assume most of the members here are older guys, so good to know you are not -- or are not physically.

Thanks even more for taking the time to respond to my many questions -- and as a psychotherapist, I believe that the more you can use your brain (apart from against the ice) the better.

Trust it will continue to heal...

Zigy

I am older (73) and retired so I have time....but refuse to quit playing goalie with all the young guys and teams in the area. It keeps me young. And I always have time for a question...wish I had all the answers. Nice talking to you Zigy, anytime I can help let me know.