Shin gunto question about single mark on tang

Bob Hudson

I am helping a buddy evaluate some WWII bringbacks he might buy, including this sword which is missing the ito. It does have the company grade officer tassel, although the blue color has faded on the outside. The scabbard is leather sewn over wood. There is a gap between the scabbard throat and the habaki. The pommel is a small piece with no decoration. The blade has some active rust.

On the tang there is a single mark - looks almost like a flower.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Just my opinion but it appears to be a Chinese "fake", by which I mean it was made to deceive.

That tang is mangled in a way I've only ever seen done to post war Chinese manufactured blades. The habaki also looks suspect and the fittings aren't military which is an easy way to avoid exposing junk.

FWIW not a sword I'd consider.

I agree with Rod. The civilian style Tsuba is also very poorly cast and finished with flashing still remaining on the inside seams.

Not a sword that I would buy for any amount of money.

Thanks all: I could not find another example online with a leather scabbard in that exact style so can I assume it's fake too?

Thanks all: I could not find another example online with a leather scabbard in that exact style so can I assume it's falke too?

I'm no Japanese sword expert but I think you'd have to assume so without evidence to the contrary.

• 9 months later...

Possibly a sword made in Japanese occupied territory during WW2 for a local [Island] official. Likely not Japanese made, too crude.

Chuck.