Polizei Issue Walther PP in .22 cal.

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would show a Niedersachsen Polizei Walther PP in .22 caliber that I have. The pistol was made by Walther in 1971 and has the expected proofs and slide legend. It is also police property marked on the left side of the frame.

The added drop holster is also of some interest in that it is a postwar Theurmann style drop holster that can be worn on a belt placed through the loops or suspended from clips by D rings. The black leather holster is unmarked except for "Grenz-Polizei" property markings under the flap.

Does anyone know if these .22 caliber pistols were only used for training by the police or did they serve any tactical purpose?

PP 22.JPG

PP 22 left.JPG

PP 22 markings.JPG

PP  22 holster markings.JPG

PP 22 holster back.JPG

Thanks for the kudos guys. I would like to also point out that these photos of the postwar Theuermann patent holster show a holster that is almost as interesting as the pistol. The WWII German officer who designed and patented this style of drop holster during the war was W-SS Obersturmbannführer Arved Theuermann, who wore his own creation with various pistols during the war. The West Germans liked his design so much they continued to make this style of holster for the P.38/P.1 and PP/PPK well after 1945. I wonder if they paid Theuermann for use of his design patent postwar?

Here are photos of the wartime drop holster in brown leather made for a Browning M1922 pistol. This military holster has a WaA on the leather tab.

And, a photo or two of the postwar drop holster made for the P.38 and/or the P.1 pistol. This one was worn by the Polizei but the same holster was also worn by the Bundeswehr.

M1922 holster.JPG

M1922 holster back.JPG

M1922 holster open.JPG

P1 in wear.JPG

Berlin P38 rig.JPG

Berlin P38 in box.JPG