Help with Post-War De-Nazified Cased Fallschirmjäger Badge

McDermut

I picked this fallschirmjäger badge up at a local auction. I’m primarily a U.S. militaria collector and I know just enough about German militaria to be dangerous. I believe the badge and case are original to each other. I have not yet been able to identify the maker and approximate date of manufacture. The main condition issue is that at some point post-WWII the swastika clasped by the eagle. Looking closely at the cut and grind marks I believe that it was removed a long time ago and not a recent attempt to be PC.

I know next to nothing about this badge but for the price I knew I couldn’t pass it up. Due to college I’m likely looking at selling the piece, and any help with an approximate value would be very appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad. That would have been a really nice GWL (Gebruder Wegerhoff - Lundenscheid) badge. The case in this condition should be worth in the $350/400 range IMO.

As for the de-nazified badge, I just cannot say. Some will say it has no value at all but I am sure you can get something for it.

Proud Kraut

My first thought was that someone removed the swastika after the war to meet the 1957 medal regulations which allowed former Wehrmacht soldiers to wear their medals again but withourt any Nazi symbols. Very nice piece, probably modified to be worn by a former Fallschirmjäger who then served in the new Bundeswehr.

I agree, I would there is still 100-200 in the badge, but the money is in the case now. Probably veteran done and worn -so if you could establish provenance to the FJ vet, that would bring up the value of the piece, but sadly that missing little bit of twisted metal knocked out about 90% of the badge total value.

• 7 months later...

Too bad. That would have been a really nice GWL (Gebruder Wegerhoff - Lundenscheid) badge. The case in this condition should be worth in the $350/400 range IMO.

As for the de-nazified badge, I just cannot say. Some will say it has no value at all but I am sure you can get something for it.

My first thought was that someone removed the swastika after the war to meet the 1957 medal regulations which allowed former Wehrmacht soldiers to wear their medals again but withourt any Nazi symbols. Very nice piece, probably modified to be worn by a former Fallschirmjäger who then served in the new Bundeswehr.

I agree, I would there is still 100-200 in the badge, but the money is in the case now. Probably veteran done and worn -so if you could establish provenance to the FJ vet, that would bring up the value of the piece, but sadly that missing little bit of twisted metal knocked out about 90% of the badge total value.

I agree with Eric - little value in the badge. The value is in the case.

Thank you all very much for the valuable information about the set and it's value, I greatly appreciate it! I certainly learned a good bit about the set, especially how the value can be affected missing that small twisted piece. Unfortunately there's no history behind it or vet provenance, it came by itself out of a consignment auction house in Amarillo.

McDermut,

Here is a link from the Bundeswehr section o the forum that helps explain the 1957 (57er) awards. I agree that this law is most probably why your badge was carefully de-Nazified.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313243-deumer-57er-iron-cross-1st-class/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 9:10 AM, SARGE said:

McDermut,

Here is a link from the Bundeswehr section o the forum that helps explain the 1957 (57er) awards. I agree that this law is most probably why your badge was carefully de-Nazified.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313243-deumer-57er-iron-cross-1st-class/

Thank you very much! I learned a good deal.

• 1 year later...