Japanese Helmet and Cover, Seeking Opinions

Jad57

Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on this helmet and cover on authenticity and what a fair price might be.

I do notice the star on the cover is just about gone,and I'm not seeing the star emblem on the helmet from what I can tell from the photos.

Thanks very much for your options and assistance. Jeff

post-188736-0-83300000-1566619858_thumb.jpeg

post-188736-0-19948300-1566620004_thumb.jpeg

post-188736-0-67903700-1566620080_thumb.jpeg

post-188736-0-79389600-1566620120_thumb.jpeg

post-188736-0-62567400-1566620166_thumb.jpeg

I don’t see any issues with it. The one photo is of the back of the helmet, opposite where the star would be. You can actually see the two rivets holding the stud for the chinstrap split ring. The one shot from the top, you can see a line where it looks like light is hitting the top of the star (not sure). What it is worth, is what somebody will pay. I would personally tap out at around $600 +/-.

Jad57,

The photos, while good,they don't show all the details in what you really need to know. The helmet appears to be in good to very good condition and assuming the star is there and has not been replaced and assuming the liner is matched in size to the shell ( would like to see the date stamped on the reverse "A" liner pad)...I can see the particle stamp in one picture so its an army liner which is good....assuming all of these things on the helmet are as they should be, the helmet would likely go for about $700 alone. IF the star on the helmet is missing or replaced, the value of the helmet goes down considerably. Finding a "good" army helmet star for the helmet $125-150 is hard enough, finding one that matches the original paint on the helmet much more difficult.

The helmet shell size is a large and matches the cover size. The cover is dated 1943 which is as it should be considering its a 2nd model "banded" style cover with a 2 piece insignia....but here is where the problem is...the missing star insignia on the cover. While seemly a small thing it devalues the cover for collectors. The cover alone in complete condition depending upon the model and style go between $600-800. As nice as this cover seems, without a complete insignia I would place the value $300+/- and the two pieces together assuming everything else is correct at about $900-1,000....these are show prices and I would think most collectors or dealers would be in that area. The price might be lower to someone who is not a collector/dealer. Based upon the photos above...I agree with "Blacksmith" that $600 would be worth what can be seen now. Hopefully, the helmet star is there. But I think you may want to see more before making an informed offer. I hope some of this has helped.

tiger41

Thanks to you both for the amazing information and knowledge.

I did get a verbal from the seller that she did not see a star on the helmet.

From what I see resurching value I would agree with $600 being a fair amount,considering the absence of the iconic imperial star on both items.

Thanks again for all your help and information, It was exactly what I needed.

Best regards, Jeff