Another Tarawa Flag

Green hell

Since Bob posted his Iwo Jima yosegaki hinomaru flag signed by a Marine, I thought I'd share my Marine signed Tarawa flag with everyone here (although it's a Naval Ensign and not a prayer flag). I love this flag and had it framed and have hung it in the stairwell in my home, and while it's not a Picasso or Jackson Pollack, my wife seems to be okay with it being so prominently displayed. In the first photo, it is laying on my queen sized bed, so you get an idea of how big it is. It was taken from the massive blockhouse at the junction of beaches Red 1 and Red 2, and was the scene of the last organized resistance on Betio, not falling until the last day. This blockhouse was also responsible for a large portion of the carnage on D-day (the first images of dead Marines published in the states, rolling in the surf in the lagoon). I would normally have displayed this flag with the sun off-centered to the left, but as the note was written on this side, I had to display the flag backward. Not many notice that, however.

post-189197-0-41365500-1566761963_thumb.jpg

post-189197-0-53597200-1566762365_thumb.jpg