WO2, AATTV, Night Operations Training Team, Binh Dinh Province, August 1971

Longhorn92

Hopefully the mods will let some 1:6 stay here; they do on the USMF. I did this several years ago.

This simple bash depicts a member of the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam circa August 1971.

Conceived as Night Operations Advisory Teams (NOAT) in IV Corps Tactical Zone in the spring of 1970, the purpose of these two-man teams was to train Regional Forces/Popular Forces (RF/PF) and selected ARVN units in the art of night operations. This program was instituted after observations that RF/PF and ARVN units lacked the training to effectively conduct virtually any type of night time operation, which gave the VC complete freedom of movement during night time hours in many areas of the Delta. Initially four week courses, the program was later expanded into II CTZ and the teams renamed Night Operations Training Teams (NOTT), with NOATs still operating in the Delta.

The NOTTs conducted two-week courses, later expanded to six-weeks, on night movement, night ambushes and night contact drills. Both programs ceased in the winter of 1971 when AATTV members began to operate exclusively in Phuoc Tuy Province.

The program was extremely successful and highly regarded by South Vietnamese and US leaders.

My bash depicts a WO2 returning from a night ambush with a PF platoon in coastal Binh Dinh Province in August, 1971. He travels light. I chose the scrim, 44 pattern water carriers and water bottle, and the bandage on the rifle to convey an Aussie feel.

As usual, I am photography and bashed challenged but I think he came out generally as I envisioned.

Thanks for looking.

*The above info comes from Ian McNeill's excellent book The Team.

post-185168-0-90927900-1567359425.jpeg

post-185168-0-25993600-1567359437.jpeg

Hopefully the mods will let some 1:6 stay here; they do on the USMF. I did this several years ago.

Welcome to the WMF modeling section! Of course your excellent 1:6 figure will stay here, it fits perfectly! Thanks very much for sharing this figure. I really like the incredible detail. Would love to see some more action pictures of the figure taken in the open at night or at twighlight.

Lars