Were British Army Units Awarded Croix de Guerre in WWI & WWII?

patches

Were the British awarded as a unit the CdG and the subsequent Fourragere like U.S. Army units were? I mean why not right, they fought a whole lot of bloody actions in France in WWI, crucial battles, and again in WWII, 1940 and again in Normandy. I only seen one example, the 2nd Battalion Devonshire Regiment along with the 5th Battery Royal Artillery in WWI awarded a CdD w/ Palm for Bois des Buttes in May 1918, the first such award to a British Army unit. Should be a lot more awarded no, maybe there's a list??? Then there's WWII, would figure a lot of CdG would of been awarded to units, but haven't seen anything so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Patches,

The British armed forces have historically been very strict about allowing servicemen and women to accept foreign awards. Part of the reluctance to allow the bestowal of awards is that in many cases, there was an expectation of reciprocation from the awarding government. The British really don't like doing that sort of thing. Unofficially, the British have historically looked at awards made by the French government as being bestowed far too freely. When you compound this on the fact that France and England were enemies for so many centuries, there is still a lot of animosity felt against the French military. Even awards by the US were highly scrutinized, though they were more readily allowed in WWII and after.

I hope this helps.

Allan

Allans spot on a modern day example is the foreign awards from the 91 first gulf war british troops were allowed to recieve them but not wear, in comparison the us troops added them to their racks

there are examples from both wars getting French and Belgium awards I've never seen a ribbon bar worn on a jacket but they have been part of groups in full size

Thanks Allan, and 46IR

Was wondering to about their colors to, but as we know they don't have streamers like we do, IE Campaign Streamers, and that's where a unit wears these CdG unit awards as well, as a Streamer.

The only examples I found are interestingly for the U.S. Presidential Unit Citation and not a French or Beligian CdG, these worn as a U.S. Streamer on the colors of the the 1st Bn Princesses Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, the 3rd and 6th Bn's Royal Australian Regiment, The Pats and the 3rd RAR for action in Korea, the 6th RAR for actions in Vietnam. For the British the the 1st Bn Gloucester Regiment, Korea, and then No 41 Commando RMC, again for Korea, not sure if No 41 Commando is a Navy PUC or an Army one, one would think it would be a Navy one right as they were attached to the U.S. 1st Marine Division and was awarded the PUC cause of the fighting at the Chosen Reservoir.

Here's a photo of the Army PUC to one of the Colors of the PPCLI, Battalion Color rather then the Queens, Award given by the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, one Livingston Merchant, which would date this photo somewhere between March 15, 1961-May 26, 1962, the period Merchant was ambassador. But I think The Pats were wearing their PUC on the shoulder way earlier than the early 60s right. in any event a great photo.

10097_original.jpg