Type 67 Grenade Pouch

Turbokidd

Hi.

i recently purchased a Chinese two-grenade pouch and I have a question. There are two cloth “cups” that hold the head of the grenade facing downward, and a bit above it is a long cloth strap meant to hold the wooden shafts in place so they stay put. My question is how did the soldiers tie the strap exactly? I tied it in a regular not, but it looks a bit silly with a big bow. Is that it?

Eminger's book Weapons and Field Gear of the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong shows a couple of 2 pocket grenade pouches tied in that way on page 103. These have one strap each for each grenade.

On page 94 he shows another example where it looks like there is just one strap across both of them, tied in a large bow.

It may look very basic, but keep in mind the point would be to have quick and easy access to the grenades in a combat situation. One pull on a simple bow, and away you go.

You might want to pick up a copy of this book... you can get a used copy for as low as $18 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Weapons-Field-Gear-North-Vietnamese/dp/0764305832/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=emminger+Weapons+%26+Field+Gear&qid=1571022849&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Thank you for your response, and for the link to the book.

i am just getting in to The Vietnam War and researching/collection some of the gear. Do you recommend this book- does it have good information and pictures? Does it cover weapons as well?

Yes, I recommend this book. It is well illustrated, and it covers the most common weapons as well. (You have to keep in mind the VC gathered a wide variety of weapons from all over.)

Plus it is about the only book out there on this subject.

Thanks for the endorsement! I will definitely pick up a copy.

i was reading another thread where someone saw an M3 Greasegun in a Vietnam photo and questioned its use there, and one response was that Vietnam was an “arms buffet”, which I thought was the perfect response. Just about any and every type of weapon could be found used in the conflict, and I’m guessing that goes for the gear as well.

That grenade pouch I purchased- it has an interesting color scheme, a light parchment color for the body and a darker green for the edging and strap/string. I’ve seen others that are olive in color, and the shades vary from pouch to pouch. Another question I have is the consistency of some of the gear- did the Chinese make it, and there were variations on their end, or did the NVA make it, and the variations were in-country due to the cottage industry that made them? Or just a really poor fake?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The "VC" and "NVA" did have a wide array of gear. Much of it was Chinese made, mostly standard Chinese designs in use with the PLA, but there were some items that were made in the PRC exclusively for Vietnamese use. Chinese made equipment was generally a tan color until very late in the war when they began to transition to green. The Vietnamese also used smaller amounts of Soviet and Warsaw pact equipment. North Vietnam also made some of its own equipment, some of it patterned off the Chinese gear, some their own design. The North Vietnamese gear is pretty good quality, but they used a wide range of colors, some of them I guess whatever was available. The "VC" also made their own equipment in small workshops in South Vietnam, and the quality is generally pretty bad. Both the "NVA" and "VC" made extensive use of captured American equipment, mainly captured from the ARVN but also from US soldiers. And finally small amounts of French gear captured in the French Indochina war were used.

As for your original question on how the Vietnamese tied that strap, unfortunately I cannot say because none of the photos I have seen are clear enough to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for responses, I’m really learning a lot. The Vietnamese stuff- whether weapons, clothes, or gear- is so wide with so much variation, it’s hard to point and say “that’s how it should look”. However, it’s make the subject very interesting too.

i bought the book- it’s a very good reference and I found it very well done, considering the variations out there. Thank you!

Thanks for responses, I’m really learning a lot. The Vietnamese stuff- whether weapons, clothes, or gear- is so wide with so much variation, it’s hard to point and say “that’s how it should look”. However, it’s make the subject very interesting too.

i bought the book- it’s a very good reference and I found it very well done, considering the variations out there. Thank you!

You are welcome. Endless variations!