Richard Burton Armed In The Desert

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I ran across this image and found it interesting. This is famed Welsh actor Richard Burton seen here in a movie publicity still in the desert studying what appears to be an Enfield .38-200 revolver. He has on the standard Pattern '37 pistol belt, holster and ammunition pouch.

Richard Burton with Enfield revolver ed 2.jpg

I question the positioning of the pistol lanyard over his left shoulder. I would have thought that around the neck or the right shoulder was the best position for a right handed shooter. Was there any "official" statement on how the pistol lanyard was to be located on the body during WW2? (Yes, of course I understand that in motion pictures pretty much anything goes and authenticity is of secondary or tertiary concern.)

I think this photo was taken during the filming of "Bitter Victory" in 1957. I am not certain since Burton appeared in at least 2 other Desert War films, "The Desert Rats" (a fine actioneer) and "Raid on Rommel" (not so fine). Given his costuming I think "Bitter Victory" is more likely to be the film during which this image was taken. And only 12 years after the end of hostilities. I don't think I have seen "Bitter Victory" and will have to put it on the list to be seen.

Bitter Victory poster 1957 ed 3.jpg

Regards,

Charlie