kammo-man

The previews looked awesome and the reviews I had read seemed very positive. They said see it in the biggest and loudest theater you can.

Interesting from a production stand point as well with the "single shot" method.

I keep waiting for some props to show up...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am sorry, but from the trailers I just cannot buy into the basic premise of the movie.

Supposedly a young soldier is recruited as a courier to deliver a message to a neighboring battalion to call off an attack that will result in wiping out the unit. Apparently to do so he must run across the battle front, and runs into every possible obstacle to put him and his mate in peril.

To add to it, his brother is in the doomed unit, and will die if he does not reach them in time.

First of all, this is 1917, not 1817. There were numerous ways to get a message to the neighboring unit without such a perilous journey.

Assuming the endangered unit was still in communication with the rear, there would have been telephone and telegraph wires strung. Also, such a message should have been relayed from a higher headquarters rather than a neighboring unit. There were couriers of course, but this included motorcycle riders. Foot couriers were used within a battalion or regiment to relay from front to rear as the action was moving forward.

Last but not least, by 1917 aircraft could be used to drop urgent messages.

1917 appears to be the latest entry into the long standing tradition of movies about "the hard luck unit", which has every possible calamity befall it. The most shining example of this genre is Oliver Stone's "Platoon", which had all manner of bad things occur to the same luckless group of soldiers.

If you want to see a very good (and graphic) portrayal of the First World War, try to catch "They Shall Not Grow Old". Once only shown in selected theaters, it is now available on some streaming services.

Got to see this a couple days ago and very much enjoyed it, there wasnt an empty seat. Yes it has a Hollywood aspect to it but overall was very suspenseful and the single shot method was very interesting as it sucked me into the movie without even noticing it. I dont think I even ate my popcorn. As far as the message courier, you will have to watch the movie but the plane idea might have been the only other way to get the order to the next unit. I recommend seeing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to throw my two cents in on this one. I Saw 1917 last night and enjoyed it for what it is: a movie. A fairly well done movie, that kept me interested the whole entire thing.

While I would absolutely LOVE to see a great that movie that is truly about WW1, I don't think the wonks in Hollywood have that in them and I'm not sure the majority of the viewing and paying public would even attend in the numbers they are apparently for this one. "They Shall Not Grow Old" was absolutely FANTASTIC but alas it was not a 'movie' per se.

Given the rest of the garbage that spews out of Hollywood on a regular basis, I'm not going to complain about the plot. Thought it was well done and worth seeing on the big screen. I blew off Midway for red box but not this one. Glad I went.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, kammo-man said:

I got to get to a screening of 1917 last week and am very pleased to inform the WMF thats a great film and very much the price of admission.

8-10.

owen

I completely agree. It’s a very well done film!

Millions of combatants on the front, from both sides, yet some scenes are filmed as if in a Surrey clover field. Too quiet for a World War I film. It was based on a true story, and I would have asked the veteran, if he lived, was this authentic... sure he'd have said much to quiet for this war. My choice for best WWI film, All Quiet on the Western Front, 1930s version- super authentic. Second best, Paths of Glory, war and intrigue.