RAF - 121 Eagle Squadron

Scarecrow

US service jacket that belonged to Reade Tilley. Reade was from Clearwater Fl, he joined the RCAF in June of 1940, arrived in the UK in April 1941 where he joined 121 Eagle Squadron in May. He was posted to 601 Squadron in April 1942 where he was one of the daring pilots that flew a Spitfire off the deck of the USS WASP to reinforce Malta. When in Malta he was posted to 126 Squadron. Reade became a 7 victory Ace while flying with the RAF in Malta, earning the British DFC which was presented to him at Buckingham Palace in October 1942. Also in October Reade transferred to the USAAF where he was assigned to 8th AF Headquarters. In the photo attached of Reade he is wearing what I believe to be this service jacket.

post-185142-0-09576100-1575631350.jpgpost-185142-0-08996500-1575631357.jpg

Gotta ask, was the uniform reconfigured to match the photo? Highly doubtful he would not have returned to the US without his full complement of ribbons. Or did he immediately replace it?

-Ski

Warguy, Aznation, Teamski,

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Ski, That is exactly how I acquired the jacket. This grouping has never been on the market and I acquired it from a good friend of Tilley's. Reade donated his Eagle Squadron items to the National Museum of the Air Force and gave much of his US items to his friend, from whom I acquired them. The grouping I have includes the Service jacket, some loose insignia, much correspondence and notes between Reade and his friend and Reade's post war Air Force MA-1 flight jacket. I can only assume he owned more than one service jacket and this one he choose to only display his Brit DFC ribbon.

Here is a link to his items in the Air Force Museum. Note he also only has the DFC ribbon on this tunic. https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcoming/Photos/igphoto/2000513752/

Also attached is a photo of his sewn on ribbon rack that was in the grouping "on the loose". It has a blue background so was from one of his post war Air Force uniforms.

Thanks again!

Paul

post-185142-0-92699000-1575686522.jpg