General Photos Topic For 1950 to Todays Bw, Please Add Yours Here.

patches

Would like to start at this time a topic for photos found of the Bundeswehr from those days, I guess like USMF has in it's Photographs Forum. So if you have any interesting period photos from the branches of the BW post them here.

First up this great online find from 1960, a Kampfpanzer 47 and Panzer Grenadiers, unknown division, new splinter pattern stuff, probably the new helmets as well rather then U.S. GI. But we do see the U.S. Super Bazooka off to the side.

post-185125-0-23482400-1576028515_thumb.jpg

Would like to start at this time a topic for photos found of the Bundeswehr from those days, I guess like USMF has in it's Photographs Forum. So if you have any interesting period photos from the branches of the BW post them here.

First up this great online find from 1960, a Kampfpanzer 47 and Panzer Grenadiers, unknown division, new splinter pattern stuff, probably the new helmets as well rather then U.S. GI. But we do see the U.S. Super Bazooka off to the side.

attachicon.gifrsz_west_german_bundeswehr_1960.jpg

Love that M47 right!, The first thing that came to my mind was the M47's in the 1965 movie , you know the Royal Tigers :lol:

post-185125-0-85973100-1576029020_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A 1959 photo of a U.S. Army MAAG GI with BW troops, they are wearing the original BW uniforms and ranks, Stabsunteroffizer on the left with an Unteroffizer on the right. Photo taken at Boostedt (Schlewig-Holstein) so perhaps one of our BW pros might hazard a guess on which unit these troops are of.

post-185125-0-13024700-1577417669_thumb.jpg

In the 1990´s I lived close to Boostedt when I was garrisoned in Schleswig-Holstein, which is the most northern state of Germany. Rantzau-Kaserne in Boosted was home of an Armor Battalion (which was equipped with M 47, later M 48), an Armored Infantry Battalion and a Maintanance Battalion. Maybe anybody knows the vehicle depicted in this very nice photo?

In the 1990´s I lived close to Boostedt when I was garrisoned in Schleswig-Holstein, which is the most northern state of Germany. Rantzau-Kaserne in Boosted was home of an Armor Battalion (which was equipped with M 47, later M 48), an Armored Infantry Battalion and a Maintanance Battalion. Maybe anybody knows the vehicle depicted in this very nice photo?

Thanks Lars, the vehicle, kinda looks like a trailer of some kind?

My first thought was that it looks like a rear of a tank or self propelled howitzer with tow-bar and open maintenance flap. Have to do some more online research on this.

My first thought was that it looks like a rear of a tank or self propelled howitzer with tow-bar and open maintenance flap. Have to do some more online research on this.

Funny you mention self propelled howitzer Lars, Caption from book foto comes from say Magneto Timing of a 105mm Howitzer whatever that is says American advisor is explaining this, to me looks like a back of a trailer :lol:.

Unit? maybe from the 3rd Pz Div or I Corps or maybe one of those early divisions the 6th Grenadier Division?? Seen that both the 3rd Pz Div and 6th Gren Div was garrisoned at Hamburg in those days, perhaps having elements garrison north of Hamburg heading towards Denmark.

6. PzGrenDiv, one of it`s Armor or Maintenance Battalions. Maybe you should post the picture in the USMF Military Vehicles section as well to find out what vehicle it is.

6. PzGrenDiv, one of it`s Armor or Maintenance Battalions. Maybe you should post the picture in the USMF Military Vehicles section as well to find out what vehicle it is.

Will do. Will link whole topic to give frame of reference.

And you were successful! Isn't that funny, I don´t know how many Sherman kits I have built but never thought of this tank. In my firts post I forgot Panzerartilleriebataillon 185 (Armored Artillery Battalion 185) that moved from Neumuenster to Boostedt in the late 1950´s. These battalions were equipped with M7 "Priest" 105 mm self propelled howitzers which were based on the Sherman tank. And I think that´s exactly what we see in this picture. German gunners or maintenance personnel instructed by an American NCO about the M7. Riddle solved.

And you were successful! Isn't that funny, I don´t know how many Sherman kits I have built but never thought of this tank. In my firts post I forgot Panzerartilleriebataillon 185 (Armored Artillery Battalion 185) that moved from Neumuenster to Boostedt in the late 1950´s. These battalions were equipped with M7 "Priest" 105 mm self propelled howitzers which were based on the Sherman tank. And I think that´s exactly what we see in this picture. German gunners or maintenance personnel instructed by an American NCO about the M7. Riddle solved.

I'm trying to find a real good image of the rear of an M7 to compare, but not finding one, do you have one?

To my knowledge the German Bundeswehr did not introduce/use any Sherman battle tanks. Aside the PRIEST the other Sherman based vehicle in use by the Bundeswehr was the M74B1 armored recovery vehicle, based on the M32B3 which had the M4A3 HVSS chassis. Let´s see if we can find a picture of the back of a M74B1.

To my knowledge the German Bundeswehr did not introduce/use any Sherman battle tanks. Aside the PRIEST the other Sherman based vehicle in use by the Bundeswehr was the M74B1 armored recovery vehicle, based on the M32B3 which had the M4A3 HVSS chassis. Let´s see if we can find a picture of the back of a M74B1.

Bergepanzer M74 (Sherman Chassis) - first TRV/ARV of the West German Bundeswehr, 300 used 1956-1960

A unit of a School Basic Traing? Troops are wearing the BW Depot patches, or it seems at least the two in the front rank, NCO's. Will need more info on what Depot is. The one on the right we see is wearing the 3rd Pattern Jump badge, always a cloth version, since they are all wearing the newer uniforms, which then dates this photo between 1962-1966, after this the new jump bage is introduced, this too was cloth.

post-185125-0-78628500-1578110527.jpg

post-34986-0-81914400-1572393915.jpg

The 3rd Pattern

post-185125-0-16682600-1578110857_thumb.jpg

The 4th Pattern cloth

As far as I can see the NCO depicted far left is wearing a School patch (red shield with crossed swords and letter "S" for "Schule). Impossible to say what border color (indicates the branch) the patches have.

As far as I can see the NCO depicted far left is wearing a School patch (red shield with crossed swords and letter "S" for "Schule). Impossible to say what border color (indicates the branch) the patches have.

Post-WW2-West-German-Bundeswehr-Schulen-s-l300.jpg

Looked like a S on my PC. What's the caption of the picture please?

There was none, it was an image for Army March Music. I was looking at a video and clicked images.