General Photos Topic For 1950 to Todays Bw, Please Add Yours Here.

patches

Here is an interesting photo showing a Luftwaffe pilot wearing both German and US wings on his uniform.

The US wings are Command Pilot Wings

Leigh

These photos all belong in a grouping of about 65-70 pictures that were given to me by my mother in law who was friends with a woman who was the secretary for the German Air Force Commander who was stationed at Fort Bliss in the 80's. After the secretary passed away, I was given a shoebox full of her family history to include passports, soldbuchs from WW1 and documents and pictures of her family from WW2. From what I can gather from the passports and other documents either her father or grandfather was in the Afrika Corps in WW2 and her great grandfather or maybe grandfather was in WW1...

post-185119-0-54156700-1578781198_thumb.jpg

@Leigh: Very nice pictures, I assume they are from the 1980´s?

@Patches: Great model, here´s a picture of a M42 in action from another early Bw booklet.

m42.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lets add this one, one I posted over at USMF in The Patches In Action topic.

post-34986-0-04429000-1508635822.jpg

A German soldier wearing a 1st Infantry Division shoulder patch, this Bundeswehr soldier is in fact attached to the Big Red One during the 1977 Reforger, he's attached to the 3rd Brigade 1st Infantry Division and is with GIs from it's HHC.

Great picture, patches. Seems to be a liasion officer (Hauptmann, Captain). The exchange of liasion teams on Corps and Division level was very common in cold war times, especially during exercises.

This was posted on USMF by member seanmc1114, he isn't a member here yet, so lets post it here for him :D

His Caption on the photo.

German Army officer wearing a Seventh Army SSI. The photo caption reads: "Lieutenant General Louis W. Truman (right) presents a Scroll of Appreciation to Lieutenant Colonel Muennich, Liaison Officer, VII Corps, United States Army. ca. May 1965"

post-1761-0-21885600-1581351792.jpg

And one more that I found with Oberstleutnant Muennich and American General Truman.

A June 5 1965 photo of Muennich and Truman, now with one Generalleutnant Leo Hepp, commander of the West German II Corps, evidently at Truman's transferring out of USAEUR. They are giving Truman a memento during his farewell reception given in General and Mrs. Truman's honor. The event was held at the U.S. Army Officer's Club, Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart. Hepp is an intersting study, he has a WIKI Here.

post-185125-0-77220600-1581475612.png

• 5 months later...
On 2/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, patches said:

Lets add this one, one I posted over at USMF in The Patches In Action topic.

A German soldier wearing a 1st Infantry Division shoulder patch, this Bundeswehr soldier is in fact attached to the Big Red One during the 1977 Reforger, he's attached to the 3rd Brigade 1st Infantry Division and is with GIs from it's HHC.

post-34986-0-04429000-1508635822_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Bundeswehr Kanonenjagdpanzer with the U.S. Army Aggressor Insignia on it, photo  from member CaptCav over at USMF, taken by him I'm gathering in October 1970, I'm also gathering this Aggressor Insignia was used only when BW units trained with U.S. units, or was it used among BW units when they trained among themselves???

image.png.6be00d9b57c9fed0eb4978c263c05499.png

No, the standard Bw marking for aggressor forces are red crosses, attached diagonally to vehicles. The white backside of these crosses is used by exercise staff. Here´s an example of the red marking.

FA9.jpg

9 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

No, the standard Bw marking for aggressor forces are red crosses, attached diagonally to vehicles. The white backside of these crosses is used by exercise staff. Here´s an example of the red marking.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Nice Wachbataillon pictures. They are still using the 98K today.

Does the Wachbataillon use the blued or chromed S84/98 bayonets?  I seem to recall seeing photos of them using the blued bayonets when mounted on their Kar.98k when on parade.  

I must admit I can´t remember seeing the Wachbataillon or pictures of the unit using the 98k with bayonet anyway. Are these older photos? Would love to see them.

They wore the fixed bayonet when being reviewed by the head of state.  I think the one I recall was at Audenauer's funeral but I can't immediately find it.  

However, here is a circa 1950s photo of the East German KVP sporting fixed bayonets on their Kar.98k that comes out of a Volkspolizei history book.  

DDR K98 with bayonets.JPG

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd share some photos of the day a bunch of us guys from Panzer Kaserne visited the Bernet-Schiessanlage German Range at the invitation of the 501st Jager Battalion from Wildermuth Kaserne. This was in the spring of 1977 and we shot to qualify for the German shooting awards - bronze, silver, gold, as I recall. 

We shot the P-1 pistol, an automatic HK rifle (I think) and then the machine gun. I did fine with the first two but couldn't figure out what the goal was with the machine gun!! They had a panoramic paper target of a village and I couldn't figure out what specially I was supposed to aim at so I sprayed the whole paper village. Haha!  No matter, it was a fun day! I'm the guy standing alone with my helmet on.

Kim

QualificationDay (1).jpg

QualificationDay (2).jpg

QualificationDay (4).jpg

QualificationDay (5).jpg

QualificationDay (6).jpg

QualificationDay (3).jpg