General Photos Topic For 1950 to Todays Bw, Please Add Yours Here.

patches

Proud Kraut

It´s a 1,5t Unimog truck. The cabinet on the load bed makes me believe that this a "Werkstattwagen" workshop truck. Nice photo!

6 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

It´s a 1,5t Unimog truck. The cabinet on the load bed makes me believe that this a "Werkstattwagen" workshop truck. Nice photo!

Tanks Lars.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a find from the 1968 The Bell, the graduation yearbook of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.

Major Frank Schild at the school 1968, wearing the 4th Panzergrenadier Division patch. the unbelievable part of this is I found him in a very brief search. He would rise in the end to Major General.

frank h.schild bw 680011.jpg

frank schild bw 680011.jpg

Proud Kraut

Major Schild is wearing the "Zweitaschenrock", a 2 pocket tunic w/o breast pockets which was worn until the ealy 1970´s. One can recognize the serrated (crimson) collar tabs "Kragenspiegel" worn by General staff personnel. The two ribbons are most likely the "Sportabzeichen" (sports badge) and the "Rettungsschwimmabzeichen" (lifesaver badge). And of course the bullion patch of 4. Panzergrenadierdivision. Thanks for posting, patches!

23 hours ago, patches said:

Here's a find from the 1968 The Bell, the graduation yearbook of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.

Major Frank Schild at the school 1968, wearing the 4th Panzergrenadier Division patch. the unbelievable part of this is I found him in a very brief search. He would rise in the end to Major General.

frank h.schild bw 680011.jpg

frank schild bw 680011.jpg

He's got a German Wiki Schild, here the English version.

https://de-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Frank_Schild?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Anyone could be forgiven if they thought this is a WWII photo but in fact it is a 1953 one, of the pre BW Border Force, the  Federal Border Protection Force, outfitted with the old TR stuff, except uniforms right, here they had a new style right.

main-qimg-60b82aca7c034e9758b21d6d1913d336.jpg

Yep,

Here is a BGS pull over camo poncho shown in wear over the camo BGS jacket.  These guys in the photo are wearing it over their regular uniform as you can just barely see the BGS eagle patch on the left shoulder of the MG gunner.  

BGS poncho.JPG

BGS poncho side.JPG

BGS poncho snaps.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

No, although it looks similar to the Swedish Stridsvagn or other "casemate tanks" it´s a West Geman Bundeswehr prototype tank. The name of this tank (which is based on the assault gun or tank hunter concept) was "Versuchstraeger 1" (VT1). Two prototypes were built in the 1970´s. One is displayed at the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz. Great picture thanks for sharing!

15 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

No, although it looks similar to the Swedish Stridsvagn or other "casemate tanks" it´s a West Geman Bundeswehr prototype tank. The name of this tank (which is based on the assault gun or tank hunter concept) was "Versuchstraeger 1" (VT1). Two prototypes were built in the 1970´s. One is displayed at the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz. Great picture thanks for sharing!

Right, was thinking about that old Tamiya Kit. The S Tank 1600311953_emoticonlaugh.png.7be009a06947742e07b7e4e50fb58813.png

tamiya-48-swedish-stridsvagn-103-strv_1_d49c4a6b75cefb6ade59d1df25db034d (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

I have posted the photo at the USMF before but I think it´s okay to show it here again. German senior NCOs were awarded U.S. shooting awards by members of the 8th InfDiv. The photo was taken in 1975. Clearly visible the marksman and DUI insignia on the pocket of the Hauptfeldfwebel far left, Many Bundeswehr soldiers are wearing their U.S. shooting awards on their combat dress as well. I added a picture of some German made examples on OD cloth for the former OD combat dress.

Marksm01.jpg

Marksm02.jpg

Neat photograph of the award ceremony for the US Marksmanship badges along with the German Marksmanship lanyard.  

Here are a couple of shots of the regulation US Marksmanship qualification insignia.  The middle badge is a wartime expediency lead badge.  The last badge is sterling silver and has the very scarce "SWORD" proficiency bar in the ladder.

Marksmanship badge AE.JPG

Marksmanship badge AE back.JPG

Sharpshooter lead badge.JPG

Sharpshooter lead back.JPG

Q bar sword.JPG

Q bar sword target back.JPG

Proud Kraut

Very nice. Thanks very much for adding these examples, Sarge! Here are some more cloth examples on German 5 color Flecktarn.

Marksm03.jpg

Here are the metal ones I do have including some polished shiny silver ones and a German made "Assmann" example (bottom row, far right).

marksman04.jpg

marksman05.jpg

Yes, nice early photographs of the Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS).  You can also tell they are early by noticing the sleeve eagle patches do not yet have the separate "Bundesgrenzschutz" patch (tab) above the eagle shield patch.

BGSHauptOttoDopatka.jpeg

BGS Off unif eagle.JPG

Dune Panther

On 7/24/2022 at 12:27 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Here are the metal ones I do have including some polished shiny silver ones and a German made "Assmann" example (bottom row, far right).

marksman04.jpg

marksman05.jpg

As an aside, there were novelty US Army qualification bars saying things like "MOP", "FLOOR BUFFER", "BROOM" and the like. Meant as a joke of course. And not something to be caught with wearing by a senior NCO or an officer; I do not know if they are even still made. Funny thing is that, whenever I see these sorts of (legit) things anymore, I always think of the novelty ones (and usually with a smile at the absurdity). Wonder if anybody out there collects them? Perhaps German troops are more professional than all that?

The Flecktarn ones are great! Never knew they existed. Thanks for sharing it all.

• 1 month later...