General Photos Topic For 1950 to Todays Bw, Please Add Yours Here.

patches

Proud Kraut

To achieve the Schuetzenschnur requirements the supervisor had to command 3 different targets on the paper target (I have marked 3 examples on the picture). You had to hit all 3 targets with a specific amount of hits in the inner circle and outer circle depending on what Schuetzenschnur you are qualifying for.

These are some great pictures, thanks very much for sharing. Not to forget the smoking ammo handler, those were the days, lol...

Schießscheibe MG 1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went through some of my old photographs and came up with a batch of photos I took in 1977 when we were taking "Adventure Training" on the Danube River, rubber rafting at a slow pace for a week. Most people pay to do this ! HaHa! 

The first photo shows most of our rafts (1st Bn 16th Infantry) going through one of the many locks on the River. Later, we came across a German engineering unit doing their own training on the river. I guess their unit assembled bridges across bodies of water, using those big power boats to move bridge sections into place. They played "tag" with us for a couple hours before taking off.

It was a great trip - oops, I mean a very meaningful training exercise!

Kim

DanubeRiver1977 (1).jpg

DanubeRiver1977 (2).jpg

DanubeRiver1977 (3).jpg

DanubeRiver1977 (4).jpg

Proud Kraut

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! The Germans were members of a Pionierbataillon (Engineers) with a "M-Boot", part of the German variant of the ribbon bridge system.

...and yes, must have been a hell of an exercise.

• 2 months later...

An interesting one, BW Troops on maneuvers around 1957 wearing the Aggressor Comb on there helmets,like in the U.S. Army, probably the liner as  they're wearing either U.S. Helmets with the separate liner or the West German made type.. The one Lanzer is armed with the Belgian FN FAL rifle with Bipod attached, called the G1 in West German service.

hqdefault.jpg

22 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

I can´t remember any pictures of Bw units using these aggressor combs. Very interesting.

We would suspect they are training with American Units, and just like the 1970 photo of the Kanonen vehicle had to wear American Aggressor symbols.

An interesting photo tha appeared on a Facebook page for AFVs of the World.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2543245999242617/posts/3022080934692452

When Germany was reunified, the military inherited all of the Warsaw Pact equipment from East Germany. I am not sure if any of it remains in service, but it was a bonanza for NATO technical intelligence services at the time.

Another person commented  "The Germans modernized the East German BMP-1s turning them into BMP 1A1 Ost".

image.png

Proud Kraut

Indeed about 600 BMP were modified for service in the Bw and saw use until around 1993. I remember a discussion about the possible use of NVA artillery guns to blast hundred thousends of rounds via live firing for e.g. forward observer taining. It didn´t happen as far as I remember because of different safety standards. Asbestos was a big topic then.

Another weapon system that was used by the Bw was the MIG 29 "Fulcrum". 24 MIG 29 served with Jagdgeschwader 73. I talked to former pilots and they all said that this was an outstanding fighter-interceptor.

Very cool picture! Notice the mixed personal equipment. I recognize NVA helmet nets, AK Ammo pouces, and NVA NBC protection kits.

• 4 months later...

A very well known photograph, thanks for sharing. The man on the right is Franz Josef Strauss the second minister of defence from 1956 until 1963. The picture was taken then.

"German Hair Force" - The so called "Haarerlass" (hair edict) from 1971 allowed soldiers to wear their hair long (with a hairnet) as depicted. After massive public critique the edict was cancelled already in 1972. Great pictures!

• 4 months later...

A fabulous photo of the early B/W uniform and ranks, these of the Air Force, wearing U.S. sleel helmets and pistol belts. Photo from April 1956 in Paris at NATO Headquarters, other NATO member states contingents there we see, in full ceremonial dress, Belgian Cavalry/Armor on the far right, you know one of their Cavalry Regiments converted to Armor in and before WWII, and French Armor, also former Cavalry, and I think Danish down the line. The B/W officer is Brigadier General Count Johann Adolf von Kielmansegg (Graf Kielmansegg).

hyyy.PNG

• 1 month later...