General Photos Topic For 1950 to Todays Bw, Please Add Yours Here.

patches

Yes, referring to the OD Panzer beret (Heer) and the Pilot´s Feldwebel rank insignia (Luftwaffe) late 1960´s would be my guess a s well. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 months later...

A Oath Ceremony Day with the Bundesmarine, modern era, no date. Is there a reason either a Officer or a Chief is taking the oath? (See the man with Schirmmütze on).

Vereidigung-Eid_klein 2.jpg

BM picture post 127: Obviously a "joint" ceremony since we do see some Heer (Army) and Luftwaffe (Air Force) soldiers in the background. Unfortunately I can´t decipher the "Muetzenband" (title on the hat).

It´s possible to become an Officer/officer candidate if you´re already an NCO. In some cases these NCO take part in the oath ceremony a second time with the young officer candidates of their class/crew.

BM picture post 128: Muetzenband says "Marineschule..." (I can´t read the location). It could be Muerwik, home of the German Naval OCS.

Not an abandoned gesture all the time.  Here is a circa 1960s graduation ceremony for the Niedersachsen Polizei from a photo album.  Notice they are still using the two finger gesture during their swearing in and oath taking.  

Nieder Pol album.JPG

Nsach tunic patch.jpg

Nieder Pol oath.JPG

Nieder Pol speaker.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Every Wachbataillon soldier has 3 sets of uniforms in his locker, Army, Air Force and Navy. There are some more extra uniform regulations for members of the Wachbataillon. Nice pictures.

8 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Every Wachbataillon soldier has 3 sets of uniforms in his locker, Army, Air Force and Navy. There are some more extra uniform regulations for members of the Wachbataillon. Nice pictures.

Are you saying that these Sailors are in fact soldiers of the Army, and they are just wearing navy Uniforms?

On 1/10/2023 at 5:44 AM, patches said:

Are you saying that these Sailors are in fact soldiers of the Army, and they are just wearing navy Uniforms?

It´s a little bit tricky. The Wachbataillon itself is attached to the German Army Joint Support Service (Streitkräftebasis), a separate branch. The companys are assigned to the different branches Army (Infantry), Air Force and Navy (Security) but all of their soldiers have the uniforms of all 3 branches plus additional equipment like white belts and jackboots etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Another photo of the same event. Then chancellor Konrad Adenauer visiting the first 550 Bundeswehr soldiers (called "Die Andernacher") garrisoned in Andernach, Krahnenberg-Kaserne. First uniforms were a mix of new German and foreign (U.S.) equipment (notice the belts and the helmet liners).

Andernach - Kopie.jpg

A good shot of these Grenzers in formation.  

Here is one with Grenzschutz BGS Major Kuttner wearing his '57er WWII awards in the form of a ribbon bar along with his pin back BW Sports badge.  Notice this is an early photo, like the one above, since they are not wearing the "Bundesgrenzschutz" tab over their shoulder eagle.

BGSMajorKuttner.jpg

M48s again unit the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division somtime in 1967. Interestingly there is no mention of this unit online, only the 10th Panzer Division, which was the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division expanded and redesignated, not sure on the date this occurred, very early 70s???

10th pz gren div 1967.PNG

14 hours ago, patches said:

M48s again unit the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division somtime in 1967. Interestingly there is no mention of this unit online, only the 10th Panzer Division, which was the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division expanded and redesignated, not sure on the date this occurred, very early 70s???

10th pz gren div 1967.PNG

I think much earlier. The 10. Div was formed as 10. PzGrenDiv in 1957, redesignated as 10. PzDiv in the early 1960´s latest. That makes sence since the soldier depicted is wearing the 1st style Feldwebel rank insignia, discontinued in the erly 60´s as well. He´s most likely the platoon leader. Great photo!

9 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

I think much earlier. The 10. Div was formed as 10. PzGrenDiv in 1957, redesignated as 10. PzDiv in the early 1960´s latest. That makes sence since the soldier depicted is wearing the 1st style Feldwebel rank insignia, discontinued in the erly 60´s as well. He´s most likely the platoon leader. Great photo!

So we guess then that that 1967 date that was with the photo is in Error, Nicht Wahr?

I did some more research today and I have to correct myself, patches The Division was constituted October, 1st 1959. Although the unit was organized and equipped like an Armor division since the 1960´s the official date of redesignation was January, 1st 1970. So 1967 could be the correct date with the photo. My bad!

If this photo was taken pre April, 1st 1957 these were no draftees but volunteers. Many if not most of these older looking soldiers were former Wehrmacht officers and NCO who enlisted in the new Bundeswehr again.