Japanese flag taken on Iwo with period photos

Leo

Thought I would share my new flag with the forum,

this arrived yesterday from a Uk seller who has had it for the past 20 plus years. the flag was given by the daughter of the us 5th division marine who captured it on Iwo from a defeated Japanese soldier.

flag is named to kaji Keizaburo and can be seen in the photos being held by her father and by the squad of the 5th.

I would like to know if the translation of the name is correct and what else the flag says

thanks and enjoy

D

post-186017-0-14127100-1576658578.jpeg

post-186017-0-01455700-1576658693_thumb.jpeg

post-186017-0-88147200-1576658703_thumb.jpeg

Great flag! Fantastic to have period pics of the flag as well, its not often you get that!

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ

I have to admit its nice to have the photos,

I also have the photos of the Japanese soldier it was taken from.

There are tons of these flags out there, but I must say yours is one of the nicest I have seen. I love it even without the photo but the photograph and ID of the Marine who brought it home, as well as the ID of the Japanese soldier who carried it is just fantastic. Congratulations on a very nice historic artifact there. Kevin

There are tons of these flags out there, but I must say yours is one of the nicest I have seen. I love it even without the photo but the photograph and ID of the Marine who brought it home, as well as the ID of the Japanese soldier who carried it is just fantastic. Congratulations on a very nice historic artifact there. Kevin

Thankyou Kevin

Thats very kind of you,

Im enjoying it very much

The name translation is correct. Mostly well wisher names on the rest of the flag but don't know if anyone noticed this.

post-186017-0-88147200-1576658703.jpg

Check out the Senninbari-Samuhara Vest thread in this section.

Great spot Eric !!

Taken from the vest thread

Samuhara" was a combination of 4 specific characters that created a mantra that were supposed to have magical properties that protected the wearer, especially from bullets in battle.

Now thats very cool sir

Very cool indeed. You mentioned having photos from the man who owned the flag (the Japanese). Can you post those? Anything written on those?

Very cool indeed. You mentioned having photos from the man who owned the flag (the Japanese). Can you post those? Anything written on those?

Nothing written , but its been taken from the marines personal photo album. When the photos where sent the daughter explained this was the Japanese soldier that her father had taken it from.

Would it be ok to post the photos of the Japanese soldier, its not gory but he is deceased.

Understood. Probably no value in posting those. I originally thought you were referring to photos taken from the (Japanese) soldier, not (deceased) photos of the Japanese soldier. I thought perhaps if there was writing on them we could learn more about him. Unit perhaps, etc.

Understood. Probably no value in posting those. I originally thought you were referring to photos taken from the (Japanese) soldier, not (deceased) photos of the Japanese soldier. I thought perhaps if there was writing on them we could learn more about him. Unit perhaps, etc.

Unfortunately not

Just photos of him deceased with the same marines in the photos holding the flag. They are standing by the deceased body.

I agree, Wish I knew more about the Japanese soldier, Where he was from and his unit etc.