A Real Glider Pilot Regiment Beret Badge

Tonomachi

I finally found an original post war but early (King's Crown) British Glider Pilot Regiment beret badge that just so happen to match the collar pieces I've had in my collection for awhile. The previous beret pieces I had in my collection turned out to be copies. The way to tell the real stuff from the bad stuff is by looking at the number of rows of feathering in the thigh of the eagle. The original badges will only have a row of three while the copies have a row of five to six.

Original

post-185261-0-75203300-1576664807_thumb.jpg

I assume that this is a very rare badge. What´s the value of an original one?

I really don't know as I haven't come across many real ones on eBay. You see a lot of the copies and I purchased two different variant copies not knowing they were fake which have been in my collection for awhile. I learned they were bogus and how to tell them apart by reading postings on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. I got lucky and with this one which was being sold out of Canada for 80 dollars and no one else bid so I got it at this minimum asking price.

I really don't know as I haven't come across many real ones on eBay. You see a lot of the copies and I purchased two different variant copies not knowing they were fake which have been in my collection for awhile. I learned they were bogus and how to tell them apart by reading postings on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. I got lucky and with this one which was being sold out of Canada for 80 dollars and no one else bid so I got it at this minimum asking price.

Thank you! Great badge.

• 2 months later...

Hey T, you have 3 beautiful badges with the typical Firmin London World War II Maker's Mark. Why would you call them post World War II badges? After the war, the numbers of individuals in the unit markedly decreased so you likely have a World War II period set of badges there.

During WWII, Glider pilots wore the Army Air Corps cap badge. The Glider Pilot Regiment cap badge and collar dogs came out shortly after WWII. Obviously, they were only worn for about five years before QEII ascended to the throne.

Between the small numbers in the regiment and the short time that they would have worn a king's crown, they are somewhat scarce.

Allan