Dog tag

robinb

Hi Robin,

The top photo, code number 11934, is for the 135th Infantry Regiment, 43rd Division ( Homare) mainly on Saipan although its 3rd Battalion was on Tinian.

The cancelled number in the lower photo is 輝 (Kagayaku) 10629, the 2nd Area Army Field Freight Depot. It had an authorized strength of 803 personnel, this guy was number 461. The 2nd Area Army was deactivated on June 13, 1945 and succeeded by its subordinate, the 2nd Army. It operated in the Celebes, Western New Guinea and Sundae Islands.

I'm not sure how the two units ended up on the same tag but very interesting none the less.

Belated Christmas wishes!

Any chance that he transferred to saipan from the cancelled unit on the tag?

The 23 (二三) in the center column, first photo, isn't a company number, which is usual in that position. I've often seen numbers in the 20's in the center column of tags but have never seen a good explanation for them.

My guess would be that he was time expired and got stranded on Saipan during the voyage home, which would have been some time before June 1944 when the U.S. landed. Regardless of how he got there, he was enlisted into the regiment in spite of not being combat trained (coming from a freight depot) and so probably in some administrative capacity.

Very interesting discussion. Saipan I think is a battle that is under collected by many in the hobby, finding things relating to it seem particularly difficult, in my own opinion.

Any chance that he transferred to saipan from the cancelled unit on the tag?

Hi Robin,

Now I think there was a really good chance the tag's owner was deliberately transferred to Saipan. Check out posts 29 and 30.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=146043&hilit=Dog+tag&start=15

Apparently your guy wasn't the only 2nd Area Army Field Freight Depot member to be sent to Saipan. This one joined the 118th Infantry Regiment, 43rd Division. Not great photos but legible: Unit number 10629, personal I.D. number 500.

Thanks RustyCanteen. Maybe it's a little more interesting now.

post-185162-0-77237800-1578011398.jpg

post-185162-0-41744900-1578011410.jpg

And another 2nd Area Army Field Freight Depot to 43rd Division tag, this one attached to the 136th Infantry Regiment.

The tag completes representation on this thread of the 43rd Division's 43rd Infantry Group on Saipan, with one tag each from the 118th, 135th and 136th Infantry Regiments, all originating with the 2nd Area Army Field Freight Depot.

There's a story here, I just don't know what it is. Tag from:

http://www.historicdogtags.com/japan.html

post-185162-0-91264100-1578412395.jpg

post-185162-0-57526700-1578412416.jpg