Heavily used WW2 Japanese jacket

Leo

I picked up some really nice items this week and this was one of them,

It has seen some action as mud and some other fluids are heavily present on the green material.

Im guessing this is the 3rd pattern infantry summer jacket ? It has the vent holes under the armpit.

If Im wrong could someone please let me know ,

Insignia for private first class ?

No makers mark inside the jacket, but could be heavily worn ?

Would love some opinions

Hi Leo,what you are describing and what I can see is a t98 summer tunic.It should have the belt support loop on the right side( tunic facing you ),and it should have a hook at the top of the collar.It looks like its been washed so that might explain why there is no depot mark.The rank is the type 3 style and is a Pvt.2nd class.Hopefully after the holidays you'll show the rest of your haul!It's always nice to find xtra goodies in the pockets!

Happy New Year

Bill

Hi Leo,what you are describing and what I can see is a t98 summer tunic.It should have the belt support loop on the right side( tunic facing you ),and it should have a hook at the top of the collar.It looks like its been washed so that might explain why there is no depot mark.The rank is the type 3 style and is a Pvt.2nd class.Hopefully after the holidays you'll show the rest of your haul!It's always nice to find xtra goodies in the pockets!

Happy New Year

Bill

Hi Bill

as always a wealth of information in your posts, I’ll post the other bits tonight

thanks

• 2 months later...
History Brick

Leo, this is actually a decent jacket you have. It is the Type 98 summer version, with the rank tabs of a Private. The type 98 uniform was introduced in 1938. Its actually getting more and more uncommon to find these jackets with the original rank tabs still on it so yours is pretty nice!

Oh I should also note that the type98 summer uniform is one that was very commonly seen in the pacific theatre late war.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nicely used T38! I'm just starting to educate myself on these uniforms after buying a couple. The bayonet loop on the wearer's left hip is a length of fabric that secures with a button at the top. As I understand, the loop went under the belt and up between the 'ears' on the bayonet frog and then buttoned. This prevented the bayonet from sliding around on the belt. 

Could you show the underside of the collar behind the tabs? I'd like to see how they are sewn on. 

Tunics were well used postwar due to shortages. Should still have sign of interior ink stamps. I believe tabs were added post war but need to see reverse of collar & how tabs were attached 

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 3:05 AM, shemp h. said:

Leo, can we see some up close photos of the inside and outside of your helmet cover ?

Bill 

of course 

I’ll post some tomorrow 

On 4/26/2020 at 2:47 AM, St.Lukas said:

Tunics were well used postwar due to shortages. Should still have sign of interior ink stamps. I believe tabs were added post war but need to see reverse of collar & how tabs were attached 

I’ll get some photos up for you 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:30 PM, History Brick said:

Leo, this is actually a decent jacket you have. It is the Type 98 summer version, with the rank tabs of a Private. The type 98 uniform was introduced in 1938. Its actually getting more and more uncommon to find these jackets with the original rank tabs still on it so yours is pretty nice!

Oh I should also note that the type98 summer uniform is one that was very commonly seen in the pacific theatre late war.

thank you very much - I’ll get some closer pics up 

Hi Leo, 

I believe the Japanese Army attached collar tabs to uniforms using tack stitches (big loose stitches). Easy to remove from one uniform to attach to another. 

Helmet cover:

The original owner was: Surname:  久保, Kubo or Kubota. Given name: 儀市 Gichi 

坪 ツ 隊 Tsubo tsu Tai (Unit).

From the photo I believe the cover is dated 1942 but you may have a better idea of what it says than I do.

6 minutes ago, Rod said:

Hi Leo, 

I believe the Japanese Army attached collar tabs to uniforms using tack stitches (big loose stitches). Easy to remove from one uniform to attach to another. 

Helmet cover:

The original owner was: Surname:  久保, Kubo or Kubota. Given name: 儀市 Gichi 

坪 ツ 隊 Tsubo tsu Tai (Unit).

From the photo I believe the cover is dated 1942 but you may have a better idea of what it says than I do.

Thanks for the info Rod , 

the Attached insignia does look to be big loose stitches as on mine. Strong to stay on, easily removed. But not a tack Stitch 

with regards to the  Tsubo tsu Tai (Unit)

is there any info on this unit. Where they fought etc 

1 minute ago, shemp h. said:

Do the collar tab stitches glow under blacklight?

Bill

I shall look in the morning