Heavily used WW2 Japanese jacket

Leo

Hi Leo,

Wish I could give you something on the unit, Tsubo tsu Tai, but alas. Tai commonly refers to company sized or smaller (or it would be "Butai"), part of a battalion or regiment. Any idea who picked it up? The date and location it originated from may tell us  who was fighting in the area at the time. 

15 hours ago, Rod said:

Hi Leo,

Wish I could give you something on the unit, Tsubo tsu Tai, but alas. Tai commonly refers to company sized or smaller (or it would be "Butai"), part of a battalion or regiment. Any idea who picked it up? The date and location it originated from may tell us  who was fighting in the area at the time. 

Thankyou Rod - 

no information on this one, came out of a Huge50 year collection.  

I just liked the name written on the side 

• 3 weeks later...

Leo, It is hard to tell when rank insignia like this was sewn on.  I am used to seeing it tacked on rather than sewn down with loops like yours.  But, since the soldier often sewed patches on as rank increased there are different sewing styles.  Not what I would typically expect of wartime attachment however.  The rank insignia also looks a bit less used than the tunic itself from what I can see.  Lastly, wartime jackets often show original insignia re-sewn to them so I would not worry about them too much.  

I hope this is helpful.  

MP uniform collar tabs.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 3:23 PM, SARGE said:

Leo, It is hard to tell when rank insignia like this was sewn on.  I am used to seeing it tacked on rather than sewn down with loops like yours.  But, since the soldier often sewed patches on as rank increased there are different sewing styles.  Not what I would typically expect of wartime attachment however.  The rank insignia also looks a bit less used than the tunic itself from what I can see.  Lastly, wartime jackets often show original insignia re-sewn to them so I would not worry about them too much.  

I hope this is helpful.  

Thankyou Sarge 

I agree that we couldn’t verify when it was added 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, SARGE said:

I hope this is helpful.  

we could start a thread on japanese stitching. this is the most common.

i have seen it done many ways. i think it is like SS stuff assume it is all wrong unless it came from the vet. i have a friend who was in the military and he did not have time to sew the insignia on so he said he taped them. this picture only shows one example i agree with SARGE it is less common than the way his are applied.