Ww1 gold wound badge real or fake

Capt Trips

I never thought about that. Hmmmmm. Worth making it black again? Maybe the gold will come off easy.? Any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 9:21 AM, packratt713 said:

Or a brass badge with the black paint removed?

My thought exactly.  I happened to have a WW2 Wound Badge sitting on my desk with a few flaks of paint worn off.  I've never seen a WW1 badge---would the brass be that bright?  Almost looks freshly cast, but I'm not expert.

There were many makers of this badge, not all if any used the same die, it was up to the firm to replicate the award, so we see differences in EVERY badge by maker, this is how we can determine the manufacturer sometimes by a die flaw or construction..

• 1 year later...
S.ChrisKelly

Images of a genuine black wound badge that had almost no paint left.  The badge is struck in brass, and the remaining paint was removed with nail polish remover gel, then the badge was gently cleaned with dishwashing detergent and hot tapwater, then gently buffed with a "Blitz" cloth.

This is what is underneath. 

The badge in post#1 looks like a genuine badge that has likely been re-painted gold.  It should be left as it is.  Nice-looking badge.  

20230509_211724.jpg

20230509_211739.jpg

20230509_211749.jpg

20230509_211803.jpg