German WW2 Funeral Photo

Jack the Collector

Jack the Collector

This is a recent purchase.Initially I bought it thinking the flag might be a homemade British Flag.As I look at it more I am not so sure.Anyone have any speculation? the photo is out of focus on the right side.A number of civilians in the mix with German soldiers....and the draped coffin?

post-190891-0-49283000-1580683409_thumb.jpg

I would guess it is a makeshift Union Jack, and done because of a burial of a English serviceman, probably an Airman killed near where this might be, France, Norway, Denmark???? shot down or bailed, in an rather out of they way place where a British Union Jack simply wasn't available, two theories on the light color of the base of the flag, one maybe being of a lighter blue color, just with solid Red bars used for lack of anything else, or just sold Red bars on a plain White sheet, because no Blue paint was available.

If it is a Union Jack then the center of the flag is on the side of the coffin and not the top which dose not make sense. Plus I don't think you would have a full turn out, in formation, of the whole garrison plus the civilian population for the burial of a POW. I don't think you would have civilians showing up for a downed airman as civilians hated airman as they were the ones dropping bombs on them or if in an occupied area they would be afraid to show public support for the enemy of the occupier. It may be some sort of town flag or personal emblem for a local big wig which would also count for the large turn out.

So... the guy standing in ranks without a German uniform.... perhaps a POW there to witness the funeral?

As far as the flag, I wonder if we are looking at an attempt at a Royal Navy flag.... that would explain the offset of the design.

UK Naval Flag.jpg

• 10 months later...

Here's one for a RAF POWs, on the island of Jersey in the Channel, though no shortage of Union Jacks here, it does show that the Germans did and could give full military honors to western allied POWs on most occasions.

image.png