Small medal, Hindenburg

Capt Trips

I have this for awhile, have no ideas about it, about the size of a dime features von Hindenburg. Dated 1915, And German words on back Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Dem Eisernen Hindenburg - Das Deutsche Volk (To the Iron Hindenburg - The German People) I think it´s a kind of lapel pin as souvenir for donating money after hammering a nail into a large wooden statue called the Iron Hindenburg in Berlin e.g. For more informations please search the net for "Nail Men" or "Nagelmaenner". (Picture from Wikipedia)

Hindenburg.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the information. I have had one of these small medal for years; a friend, German Berliner, gave me one of these back in the 1980s when I was stationed in West Berlin. I vaguely remembered the story behind it; this is a nice reminder of the propaganda that was used buy the Germans in the Great War/First World War.  All governments have used propaganda to get their people behind their reasoning for going to war and than staying committed to their county's military effort.

190422179_DemEisernenHindenburg1USMF.jpeg.8a9c0007c6368789b3978acccaa1b7b7.jpeg1899081194_DemEisernenHindenburgUSMF.jpeg.1263d160a0d4fa1b2d8de4fcf7d00db0.jpeg