Rhodesian Army Metal Insignia

Ken Crane

Here is my current collection of metal insignia for the Rhodesian army. This would include both pre and post UDI insignia. The Selous Scout wing is numbered, but I believe it was unissued.

post-194681-0-45303800-1582164708.jpg

• 7 months later...

Solid collection of Rhodesian badges.

Here are a few pieces of Rhodesian beret, collar badges and shoulder titles I currently have. Insignia date from 1940s to UDI

Riker contains 1st and 2nd issue Selous Scout beret badges

5195B32E-37EE-4B2E-8995-20E406148E21.jpeg.3b1c2a50b0d8d876632ae5a064ffcd34.jpeg

few more

14944137-F7A8-4BD3-BE73-406DA0CF7B36.jpeg.9d9463630748e7838b4dcc177adf410b.jpeg

CDub

On 10/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, Kia kaha said:

Nice group of Rhodie badges, what are the differences between 1st type and 2nd type Selous Scouts badges?

The 1st type in un marked, the 2nd type has the Reuteler maker stamp on the reverse. Otherwise they are basically the same..

Correct, both were produced by Reuteler, the only difference is the 1st issue were never stamped, otherwise the badge looks the same as previously stated by kadet.

Beware of the many FAKES being sold on eBay.

CDub

Here is a 2nd issue Selous Scout badge. 

Beware of the many FAKES being sold on eBay, Andrew Butler is reproducing these badges with the Reuteler marking, however they aren’t the same as Originals. Some sellers are selling his FAKE badges as Originals.

Genuine Selous Scout beret badge

68E4D475-5FF7-4A3F-A89E-7D0E6FE6DFAC.jpeg.87b555903fd08bc84b223417b7023b99.jpeg

CDub

On 10/11/2020 at 8:56 AM, Gunslinger said:

Here is a 2nd issue Selous Scout badge. 

Beware of the many FAKES being sold on eBay, Andrew Butler is reproducing these badges with the Reuteler marking, however they aren’t the same as Originals. Some sellers are selling his FAKE badges as Originals.

Genuine Selous Scout beret badge

68E4D475-5FF7-4A3F-A89E-7D0E6FE6DFAC.jpeg.87b555903fd08bc84b223417b7023b99.jpeg

CDub

Nice example of the 2nd pattern OR beret badge. Originals are all identical except that the "2nd pattern" has the Reuteler MM. They were stamped from aluminum, the lugs were attached then the badge was anodized to give it a chrome-like coating. The anodizing didn't stick well to the solder, hence the dark areas. This is a characteristic of all originals. Note the "Rhodesian lugs", I. E. they enter the badge vertically with no "feet" or flanges. If you see "feet" on a Selous Scout badge it is fake. The maker mark on originals is also distinctive. Note the "DESIA" in Rhodesia is slightly higher than the "RHO". Originals are quite light and cheap feeling. The fakes are sometime of higher quality than the real ones! Minus the maker mark, there are no variations of this badge. The smaller OR collar badges meant for the Tartan Green dress uniform were also made by Reuteler and are of similar construction. They are always unmarked. 

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Thanks, Have not seen the Reuteler MM markings, is it M. Mathews which you’re referring?

CDub

Does MM mean maker mark?

Got it, just so you’re aware MM is the mark for M. Matthews.

The Selous Scout 1st & 2nd issue badges were made by Reuteler as previously stated above. There are other aspects to look for on Original badges which aren’t posted that I won’t discuss on a public forum.

CDub

• 3 years later...
RhodesianMilitaria
On 10/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, Gunslinger said:

Got it, just so you’re aware MM is the mark for M. Matthews.

The Selous Scout 1st & 2nd issue badges were made by Reuteler as previously stated above. There are other aspects to look for on Original badges which aren’t posted that I won’t discuss on a public forum.

CDub

I'll discuss it and have discussed it and my book will discuss it. People don't learn what is genuine without telling them.

In reference to the first and second issue Selous Scouts beret badges. It's just collectors' talk that we have used to identify items. I've used it for the Selous Scouts stable belt buckles, SAS stable belt buckles and belts etc. I've used it on forums and social media for many years.