WWII Funeral/Mass Cards, Sterbebild, Show Yours

Salvage Sailor

Looks like a man from the 19th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, a Bavarian Division, 7th Infantry Division was indeed evolved in the attack on Moscow, Operation Typhoon.

njju.jpg

Something interesting about the W-SS Mann''s tunic that I notice is the top button placement.  Notice how the top button is situated to one side of the collar rather than sitting in the middle.  I have noticed this with other Waffen-SS uniform tunics seen in photographs before.  There was an early SS-VT tunic made in summer weight cloth that was made with the button off-side so one could wear the tunic as an open collar, or closed collar, uniform.  Perhaps this is a holdover from that form of tunic made with pleated patch breast pockets and slash lower pockets?  

At any rate, an interesting photograph.

Preppy Picker
On 11/29/2018 at 2:19 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Reichsarbeitsdienst - Reich Labor Service https://www.feldgrau.com/WW2-German-National-Work-Service-Reichsarbeitsdienst

JR 003.jpg

1346193656_ChamoisFalaise20081944.jpg.c993dd3d0f6e19942d758b9ce71d6458.jpg
Caption:  A group of U.S. infantrymen pose in front of a wrecked German tank while displaying a captured swastika flag. The infantrymen were left behind to mop-up in Chambois, France, last stronghold of the Nazis in the Falaise Gap area. August 20, 1944.

Spent some time in Chambois interviewing people about The battle There. I met a man who claimed that as a boy he helped Kurt Meyer escape the pocket. He actually took me down the trail from the Moissy ford. He pointed to a place where a Panther had been destroyed and there were still pieces of it in the bushes. This was in 1982.

One more member of the 100. Leichte Division gef Stalingrad, we should think, as he wears a Mountain Cap. Those unaware all Leichte Divisions as were select standard Infantry Divisions were retitled Jäger Divisions in late 1942 and in short order receive the right to wear newly designed insignia, the Jäger Oak leafs

Remembrance-Card.jpg

Musiker, no doubt of the 1st Mountain Division as he is from Bad Reichenhall in Upper Bavaria and wears the Mountain Cap.

iii.jpg

Here is an interesting death card because he is shown wearing his pre-war Gendarmerie uniform.

Leutnant Georg Gebhard was a Lieutenant in the Gendarmerie and a Staff NCO in his Infantry regiment.  The card gives his awards as an Iron Cross I class and a gold wound badge.  He died in June of 1945... perhaps of wounds since he received the highest gold wound badge indicating severe or multiple wounds?  He is shown wearing his pre-1936 Gendarmerie uniform rather than his wartime tunic.  

Death card 1.JPG

Death card 1a.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another Afrika one. An odd one as his unit is given as a Mountain Rifles Battalion, I can find no  Gebirgsjäger units in Africa till November 1942 with the arrival in Tunisia of Gebirgsjäger Regiment 756 of the 334th Infantry Division. his death as we see is June 1942.

202111251326280001a.jpg.0de96f30d8990dd5dc7dda59187260c9.jpg

202111251330540001a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We can see a 19 on the shoulder strap, and that means the 7th Infantry Division, home  garrison Munich. 7th Infantry Division does indeed attack Moscow.

yu6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

One Fritz Zängl a Skier of some renown in Germany ,KIA in Russia with the 1st Mountain Division. We notice it has the English RIP at the bottom, we are well aware of RIF standing for Ruhe  Im Frieden, having seen this on loads of tombstones in a local Lutheran Cemetery near where I live, a huge one going back to the 1850s, lots and lots of Germans there, the real old ones written exclusively in German on their tombstones, lots of them very ornate ones, So would this really stand for the English Rest In Peace??

fritz zaengel.PNG

9 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

No, it´s representing the (back then) popular Latin sentence "Requiescat In Pace".

I see, very interesting, it's Latin then, which makes a lot of sense considering Latin was used all over the Catholic World as thee language of the Church, and these men all seem to be Romans.

I asked this a few posts earlier, did Lutherans do thee cards, anyone one know?

• 2 weeks later...

An SS Trooper, says Panzer Rgt,  October 1944, Says buried in Modlin, Modlin is near Warsaw, so that leaves the  SS Divisions  he might of been in, Totenkopf or Wiking, both were in Gille's IV SS Panzer Corps.

ss.PNG