Australian badges

Dogsbody

Hi everyone, I got these two badges in a small lot and I'm assuming they are a collar badges but I'm a bit clueless about the time frame in which they were used. I haven't been able to find any markings on both. Possibly WW1? Please feel free to chime in.

post-185144-0-31887900-1582469841_thumb.jpg

Rene

• 2 years later...

the australia is a shoulder title, I think both were used in both wars, with the rising sun if there is  name on the back that would help date it more precisely

I am by far an expert on Australian stuff but my understanding is that the badges with "Commonwealth" are WWII and older.  Post war, and current badges replaced the word commonwealth with military.  I don’t know the exact date that change took effect.

Here is my few Australian items.  The smaller badges are collar badges.

D03C97DE-9427-4CD4-ACD6-3E6391C275BC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

even the expert on the subject, Cossum, does not specify exactly when the change took place, just list it as post war and then post 1953 for the Queens crown version

Page 37.jpg

I have WWI, WWII and post WWII versions in my collection

all rising sun collection.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Rene,

Sorry for the late response, but I've only just now joined this forum.

Your Rising Sun badge is more than just a plain old collar badge, if you look at the spelling of 'MILITARY' on the bottom scroll you'll notice it is missing an 'I' = 'MILTARY'

I'm not sure of who manufactured them, but believe they're likely from the WW2 period.

I'd assume they are quite a rare badge, I've never seen one in the flesh, however I don't collect badges and haven't been on the hunt for one, but do look when I see a collar badges for sale.

Nice find indeed,

Dan