Italian Polizia Officer Sword

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would show a recently acquired sword for a Fascist Police Officer. These swords are quite scarce. It is similar to the Italian Colonial Police sword but it is more ornate. There are similarities in the shape of the narrow etched blade and the shape of the black leather scabbard and gilt brass scabbard fittings. While the scabbard fittings are the same general shape they are more ornate. The Municipal Police Officer version has a flat ornate guard with a large clam-shell with a Fascist eagle perched upon a bundle of rods ax. This same Fascist eagle and ax are etched on the reverse of the narrow blade. The pommel is worked with a head wearing a wreath of laurel symbolizing victory. The fluted white grips appear to be bone and the face of a lion appears on the front of the flat guard. All brass fittings are gilt.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313447-italian-colonial-police-pai-sword/

I have been after this sword for quite awhile and here is my example of the Municipal Police (Polizia) Officer sword.

Italian Pol sword 1.JPG

Italian Pol sword hilt 1.JPG

Italian Pol sword hilt back 1.JPG

Italian Pol sword guard.JPG

Italian Pol lsword guard 1.JPG

SARGE

Very interesting Fascist Police sword ! Congratulations on a excellent example and a fine addition to your collection ! Thank you for sharing. It is always great to learn something new every day.

Thanks

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Rich,

I meant to ask you what the red highlights in your belts and hangers indicate. I know that those belts, hangers, and knots with blue highlights are supposed to go on the police swords and I suppose black ones go on party daggers so are the red ones for the military?

There seems to be very little written about these Italian Fascist accouterments.

• 8 months later...

As a follow-up I received information from an Italian collector that the correct accouterments for this sword are the ones that are gold with blue highlights.  

Italian Pol sword.jpg