Unknown Huge Brass Artillery Shell Casing Asian?

GreenStar67

Picked this up from a scrap dealer last week - this unknown brass artillery shell casing has been fired (so it may have stretched from original dimensions - doing my best to measure accurately overall height measures 33-1/16" (839.79mm) from base to top edge. Outside diameter of rimmed lip at base measures 7-1/4" (184.15mm)in diameter by .235" (5.97mm) thick. Brass case wall measures .065" (1.65mm) thick. Main diameter of body measures 6.790" (172.47mm) for a length measured from bottom of rimmed base of 25-1/2" (647.7mm) then tapers (necked down) the remaining 7-9/16" (192mm) of length to an outside diameter of 5.750" (146.05mm) this results in a projectile diameter of 5.62" (142.75 mm). The case weighs 26lbs 5oz (12.09kg) this does not include the primer which has been removed. The case has some scrapes and dings but overall in pretty good condition. I white-grease penciled the head-stamping to make it more visible.

Some of the characters appear to be Han characters - there are a couple that are worn but can still be seen - this lends me to believe the shell casing has Asian roots of some kind. I collect old artillery shells and cases (mostly US) as I find them but I have never seen one as large as this - it dwarfs a 105mm M115 that I have in my collection by length and diameter.

Any help on identifying this huge brass artillery shell casing would be appreciated!

Regards

GreenStar67

post-195958-0-66475300-1582997342_thumb.jpg

post-195958-0-96966100-1582997354_thumb.jpg

post-195958-0-11391000-1582997368_thumb.jpg

Here is a quick search clue, the answer was right in front of you; 1. Read the printed markings on the cartridge. 2. Convert Inches to mm to check you ruler findings and reread the markings on the cartridge. 3. Artillery is usually classified by the mm of the bore of the gun and many Asian guns are known by the Type such as 59. Go ahead, give it a try and enjoy the fun of learning about artillery.

Do you know is it Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean? What era? Naval or field artillery, 130mm? Although I show a ruler in the photos, I measured diameters with calipers, so the projectile diameter of 5.62" (142.75 mm) measurement is pretty accurate - that doesnt really corelate with the numbers I see marked. You think this is a type 59? Thx

I'm convinced this is 130mm Chinese for use in Type 59 towed field artillery - probably 1970's? I am amazed at the amount of stretch on the case neck almost 13mm! That is a lot. From what I read this round was based on a copy of a Russian round, go figure. I wish I could decypher the markings more. Thx

I'm convinced this is 130mm Chinese for use in Type 59 towed field artillery - probably 1970's? I am amazed at the amount of stretch on the case neck almost 13mm! That is a lot. From what I read this round was based on a copy of a Russian r

ound, go figure. I wish I could decypher the markings more. Thx

Hi gents, the two characters at 12 o'clock on the bottom are left to right the Japanese kanji for the numbers 4 and 6, hope this helps.

Bill

RustyCanteen

I was going to say the kanji looked Japanese to me too, beyond that I do not have an answer for you unfortunately. Impressive piece though, can't imagine they are too common.