Very Rare Volswagen saving booklet

Jack the Collector

Jack the Collector

I never know just how much I should say about stuff I post.Believe me folks I can get very long winded and I usually abstain from saying much.In this case a little history for those who do not know.The KdF started a savings scheme si that the average German could purchase a "people's car" or as it was called in German Kraft durch Freude-Wagen. It was a scheme that never came to being,people paid yet not one KdF wagen was ever delivered to the common man.Hitler opened the Volkswagen factory near the village of Fallersleben in 1938.In time an entire new town,Strength through Joy City,was to be built to house and serve the auto workers. There were two stamps,green and red for 5 Reichsmarks and later star punches to show the persons contribution.It required 990 Reichsmarks to purchase one.The war started and the factory was converted to war vehicles.

As you get to know me,you will find I do not use the word Rare very often.This item qualifies.I learned years ago that stopping in stamp and coin shops can be quite fruitful.I found this in a stamp shop 30 or so years ago.

post-190891-0-63482300-1584648892_thumb.jpg

Part of the reason that these are probably so rare is I believe I read that when Volkswagen was reconstituted after the war they honored these books towards the purchase of a post-war Beetle.