Heinkel He 111 in 1/48 scale

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Finally I found a set of 1/48 pilots for a reasonable price. I´ll try to convert the British and Japanes pilots into German ones.

He21.jpg

The fuselage halfs needed a little support to stick together.

attachicon.gifHe23.jpg

It seems like fuselage halves ALWAYS need a little help to stay together. Hopefully you won't have to do any sanding. Looks good so far.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Yes, really seems to be, Manny. Only little progress today because of technical service. I needed some more space for the Heinkel and it was high time to clean the workspace. Mission accomplished.

He27.jpg

Hey Lars, nice cleanup job. I always have to tidy up before I start a new project. Nice work on the wings, but I truly like how those plane engines came out. Very nice work there.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

That`s gonna be a larger project.

I did a lot of online research during the last days, there´s a lot of very good informations and photo material out there. Beside other things I found some pictures of a He 111 variant (H-22) with a V1 flying bomb. Needless to say, I searched for a 1/48 kit and found a 25 years old Revell model online for a reasonable price. Guess what was in the mail yesterday.

He-22-01.jpg

Proud Kraut

The kit is not as detailed as the newer H-6 one I have started to build but has a crew of 3 with it. So I will use this crew with the H-6. The H-22 will be build with extended landing gear. A view into the box:

He-22-02.jpg

You are on your way to having a fleet of Heinkels! At 1/48 scale these are almost big enough to fly!

I actually got to stand next to one of these years ago at a Dallas air museum. It was actually a Spanish built version, and one that had been used for the movie The Battle of Britain. A very ungainly looking plane compared to sleeker modern aircraft.

I like what you've accomplished so far. It looks like the puttying and sanding came out nicely. Awesome pickup on that He-111 H-22. I guess you are going to be busy with your own personal Luftwaffe. BTW did the V-1 rocket come with it?

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

You are on your way to having a fleet of Heinkels! At 1/48 scale these are almost big enough to fly!

Yeah, a fleet of Heinkels, very good idea! Gil you probably already know what´s next. I have seen pictures of a "Z" (Zwilling = twins) variant, two Heinkels mounted together, with a 5th motor to pull the Messerschmitt 321 "Gigant" gliders. THIS would be the dio: a starting He111 "Z" with a Giant glider, lol. The kit does exist! But I´m afraid I simply do not have the space to store or display it.

@Manny: Yes, the V1 was with the kit. I will paint the H-22 in a late war color scheme.

Here´s the crew, painted and on board.

He-40.jpg

He-41.jpg

He-42.jpg

Hey Lars, I like how the figures came out. Good JOB! Not for nothing that bombardier is in a very cramped area. At least he's got a mattress to lie on.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

@ Manny: Thank you, they really used these mattresses, Search the net for "He 111 cockpit" and you´ll find several variations including a "waved" leather one that I was unable to build unfortunately.

@ Jack: Thanks, there are many different white and green putties available. For this project I used Vallejo white putty depicted in the center.

Putty.jpg

Proud Kraut

Some more preparations before I`ll start the painting.

1. Masking the clear parts - For the larger parts like the cockpit I`m using masking tape.

He47.jpg