Theater Leather Jacket -Chinese Nationalist Kuomintang Markings

Scarecrow

Here is a private purchase Chinese Kuomintang marked leather flight jacket. I have had this jacket for quite a few years. As you can see the back has a winged Kuomintang sunburst and some Chinese characters below it. The interior lining also is marked in the body of the jacket with additional Chinese characters. I believe the white paint in the sunburst has been touched up, at some point, but the rest of the painting looks original and period. Again as I mentioned, I've had this a few years but have never had the Chinese characters translated. If anyone on the Forum can read Chinese I would appreciate your knowledge. As a guess I would think this jacket may have belonged to a 14th Air Force crewman or maybe even a Chinese or American with the CATF. Thoughts appreciated.

post-185142-0-51730400-1584825192.jpgpost-185142-0-82093400-1584825214.jpg

航字 seems to be painted on the back. Someone who can read Chinese should look at it as the characters don't make any sense to me (with a Japanese background)

Literally Flying/Aeronautic (character is used in Airline 空会社) + Letter/Character (character is used in Kanji )

The other three (3) are typically found on CBI blood chits but some characters are missing. They would typically say "Westerner (American) who came to China to assist with the war"

1755_1-864x1080.jpg

• 1 month later...
Scarecrow
On 3/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, Eric Queen said:

航字 seems to be painted on the back. Someone who can read Chinese should look at it as the characters don't make any sense to me (with a Japanese background)

Literally Flying/Aeronautic (character is used in Airline 空会社) + Letter/Character (character is used in Kanji )

The other three (3) are typically found on CBI blood chits but some characters are missing. They would typically say "Westerner (American) who came to China to assist with the war"

1755_1-864x1080.jpg

Eric,

A friend of a friend is married to a very nice young lady from China.  I asked if she would be willing to translate some Chinese characters/writing for me.  She was more than happy and gracious to do it.  For the three characters on the inside lining, they translate best as "Foreigner Comes To China".  The characters on the back of the jacket she said can be read two ways, it depends she said if its "old" Chinese, read backwards, or "new" Chinese.  In one translation it is a name "Hung Yu"  the other the translation is "Navigation".