How to I.D. WW1 British Cap Badges

Hello Guys, It's been a really long time since I've dealt with WW1 era British Cap Badges, & could truly use a bit of advice as to determine an early war example, as opposed to a late war version. Such as in; Why are some silver colored, with brass attaching 'slider' on the reverse, OR an example that's all brass construction ? ANY comments & or advice will be very much appreciated. THANKS

dpast32

captainofthe7th

I'd like to piggy back on this as my knowledge of these is very limited to 'King's Crown' or 'Queen's Crown' and it takes a lot of searching online to find an example that matches what I might have.

Rob

Skysoldier80

Some are officer’s hat badges, some are mistaken for hat badges, but are really Officer collar brass, and some are enlisted.

I have a really neat grouping from a guy who won the Military Medal and was from N. Lab ashore and Cheshire Regiments.

Rufus T. Firefly

The silver colored badges were made of nickel and are referred to as white medal. Some were bi-medal with brass pieces added. In 1916, due to a nickel shortage and the demand for badges, some, but not all, were produced in all brass. Gaylor has an unofficial list of these badges. All used a King’s crown. The Queen’s crown didn’t come into use until 1952. All World War I badges, with the exception of a few Scottish badges, have a slider, not lugs. It helps to have a good reference such as those by John Gaylor.

Hi everyone, I'm just starting to find out more about British Cap badges. I'm thinking this one is of WW1 vintage as it has a slider and is made of different materials. It is also reassuringly heavy. Any thoughts?

post-185144-0-39486700-1585233073_thumb.jpg

post-185144-0-26129400-1585233262.jpg

Rene