Help with ID on Japanese Badge

trenchbuff

Japanese bayonet badge? I found one on the internet looks almost the same. Maybe a different "class" but worth a start. With the jukendo helmet, sword and rifle i believe my assumption is close.

vintageproductions

It looks like some sort of close combat / Kendo organization badge.

Eric Queen could probably translate what is on the reverse if you ask him.

I agree with Das Krieg. This looks like a grade variation of the Kenjutsu Kishou (剣術徽章) = Fencing badge, instituted in 1934 for proficiency in Fencing and Juukenjutsu (銃剣術) = Bayonet Fighting

Mark, the writing on this (and most every Japanese badge/medal from the period) is done in a very stylistic font known as Tenshotai (篆書体) which is very difficult to read, even for Japanese. If you can get much better/clearer photos of the character on the mask and the reverse (moving the pin up and down so it doesn't obscure the writing) I will try to read what I can.

Eric, I appreciate your input. It isn't a large badge, only about 1 1/4" across and does look a lot like the kendo badges but with a star incorporated. Here's as good of shots as I can get with my camera. Hopefully it's clear enough to read.

post-185309-0-59010300-1585432363_thumb.jpg

1 = Shiritsu Seinen Gakkou (私立青年學校) = Private boys school

2 = Fuji Koukuu Keiki (富士航空計器) = Fuji Aviation Instruments

3 = only the last two characters are visible : Denki (電機) = Electronics (electrical machines)

My guess:

A Kendo badge from a private trade school sponsored by Fuji Aviation Instruments and X Electronics, patterned after the military fencing badge.

post-185309-0-27642300-1585432445 (1).jpg

The box just says Kishou (徽章) = "Badge" on the front so it very well could be the one that came with it.

• 3 months later...
Fortunes Of War

Awesome translation job on this badge Eric!  I have never seen this style of kendo badge (with star).  It's interesting to note too that there appears to be remnants of brown paint on both the front and back of the badge.  The standard army kendo version with hinged pin, has the same color of paint on it as well.  Similarly, the submarine qualification badge and others, utilize the same brown paint in places as well.  

Mike