Umhang

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would start a topic about German capes (Umhang). Anyone with a cape of any type is encouraged to respond and send us a picture.

Below is an example of a blue Prussian Police cape worn before the changeover from blue uniforms to nationalized light green ones after 1936. This blue wool cape has arm straps on the interior and buttoned arm slits in the front of the cape. The collar is piped in police green and it was worn with the blue Prussian uniform that continued to be worn throughout the war by Auxiliary Police (Hilfspolizei).

The photograph is taken from one of my photo albums that shows a Bavarian Landespolizei (LAPO) Officer wearing a grey Bavarian cape. This photo dates to circa 1935, prior to the Bavarian police uniform change from dark green to the lighter green uniform worn by the nationalized Polizei.

Prussian SCHUPO cape.JPG

Prussian SCHUPO cape collar.JPG

Prussian SCHUPO cape open.JPG

Prussian SCHUPO cape fully open.JPG

Bavaria Cape.jpg

Here is another example of a cape, believed to be for the Reichsjustizverwaltung (Justice & Prison) service.

This Umhang is made of black wool cloth with a green collar. Made in the same basic form as the Prussian and Bavarian Polizei capes with a concealed plastic button front and buttoned arm slits in the front. These are quite scarce.

Pol Umhang.JPG

Pol Umhang open.JPG

Jack the Collector

Great post Sarge.These are vastly underrated by collectors and even with the internet hard to find at times.One of my collecting regrets is that I had a Reichspost Umhang and I traded it away for something I thought II wanted more......sigh live and learn.

Thanks for the kudos Jack.

As a matter of fact, both of these capes came out of Germany years ago. I had an excellent "picker" at that time who haunted the German flea markets and militaria shops and keep his eye open for me. He was very good at ferreting out Weimar Republic Zeit and early Volkspolizei uniforms and equipment. Some of these early items are just not found on this side of the pond.

• 1 year later...

Gents,

I picked up a very nice Gendarmerie cape (Umhang) this week that I thought I would show.  

Below is an example of a grey Gendarmerie cape worn during the changeover from Weimar Republic and early NS Zeit uniforms to nationalized light green ones after 1936. This dark grey wool cape has pockets on the interior and buttoned arm slits in the front of the cape. The light brown collar is piped in Gendarmerie orange and it was worn with the new police green Gendarmerie uniform.

Gend cape arm slits.JPG

Gend cape collar.JPG

Gend cape open.JPG

Gend cape open side.JPG

Gend cape collar back.JPG