M-1916 Stalhelm-1920’s-‘30’s worn

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I picked this up at a small estate auction sale about 20 years ago. At the time, from information gleaned from the family of the estate, I thought it was a veteran ID WW I souvenir. Later research disproved this theory, as the tricolor shield was apparently not used in the WW I era. It also has different chin straps from WW I examples. The helmet was likely brought home as a WW II Souvenir. While it is not a highly collected German helmet, it is still a great condition helmet from a turbulent period in history that eventually gave us WW II.
It is stamped on the inner left side, “G.62”. and on the liner it appears to be marked, “H. Stuckle” and “Sc?nor?er”, possibly, “Scinorner”, not very clear.
Thanks for looking, comments welcome!
BKW
post-185335-0-82132700-1585883793_thumb.jpg

post-185335-0-68166100-1585883831_thumb.jpg

Brian Keith

Glad you enjoyed seeing it, thanks for your comments. Part of the appeal of things like this is that this artifact, while silent, still speak loudly of the time it was used. I wonder who the wearer was, what became of him. No doubt, an "interesting" time to have lived in Germany. I also wonder how it come to be in the states. I speculate it was brought home after WW II as a souvenir.

Regards,

BKW

• 3 weeks later...
iron bender

Great helmet Brian! Curious, is the shield a decal or painted? Looking through Baer's book I've always wondered about that.

This is a late Reichswehr (It was still called the Reichswehr till March 1935 when the Wehrmacht is proclaimed) worn helmet, starting in 1923 their helmets had a small painted shield only on the left side that was in State Colors, diagonal, Black White for Prussia Green White Saxony, Light Blue White Bavaria etc . In March 1933 after Hitler came to power this State Shield was abolished and a new small shield in the same size in Black White Red was to be worn, apparently also on the left side. but this one has it on the right we see for some reason. the more familiar large Black White Red shield along with the Eargle decals come out March 1934.

Proud Kraut

BKW, please check if the names could be "Stückle" and "Schorner". Both names are rather common in Southern Germany.

• 1 year later...

A bunch of both M16 and M18 Helmets being given the new Tricolored Shields, photo must be in like March/April 1933 before the new NSDAP Insignia starts to be worn within the army, ie, cap eagles and cockades within wreath and breast eagles.

ty.jpg

• 6 months later...

A Kanonier of the Saxon 4th Artillery Regiment in this Weimar period, White and Green shield. The 4th Artillery Regiment will be the organic artillery of the 4th Infantry Division in late 1934, and ultimately a Panzer Artillery Regiment when the 4th Infantry Division is reorganized as a Panzer Division in 1940.

steel.jpg

19 hours ago, Preppy Picker said:

Patches where did you find the 4th cannoneer photo? That’s a wonderful image.

Where I find them all, online, a lot of times by redirects, and I says whoa that's a good one 2063472843_emoticonsmile.png.d4f53069546c726fbdd303597bc34c9d.png

• 3 months later...

I love this Reichswehr stuff.  The thrifty German military wanted to reuse as much WWI surplus as possible yet still experiment with new things.  A major time of uniform and equipment transition.  And, some great helmet examples.

Here's a Period Chart of the various State Shields of the Weimar Era and their corresponding cockades, there are a couple or more we're not seeing, Hamburg for one, it's possible these state's units simply used the Prussian one during this time.

weimar m.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

A curious one, Infantry Regiment 4, problem, Infantry Regiment 4 was a Pomeranian Regiment from Köslin in Wehrkeis II, the shield color here is for Saxony, it should be Prussian, so seeing this is a colorized photo, perhaps then a goof in coloring, the darker color made Green not Black. Infantry Regiment 4 goes on to be a part of the 32nd Infantry Division in 1936.

ts733876465344419401_p524_i2_w1363.jpg

I found the original Black & White photo, also noticed that the Prussian shield has it's Dark, it's Black portion on the upper part, so it would not be a Prussian one. So it will be a Saxon one after all, but for what unit with the number 4?, seeing it is colorized, my guess is the Waffenfrabe is not the White of Infantry as it the colorized version but rather Lemon Yellow of the Signals, Lemon Yellow being a light shade of Yellow as we know, and lo and behold there was a 4th Signals from Saxony, Nachrichten-Abteilung 4 garrisoned in Dresden, 4. Division also in Dresden.

weimer.PNG