"The Race To The Channel"

ArtyScout

Well I finished my Pz III tank crew. They are from MiniArt. One discrepancy I have with their figures is that the head have their mold seam right down the middle of their face unlike Tamiya, Dragon etc. the seam is by their ears. I did the best that I could with them; I added Archer Transfers on the tank commander and made him a Lieutenant. The gunner and loader went nicely together and they sat well in the turret side hatches. Well the Pz. III is done except for the last of the dirt, rust & weathering when I start putting the diorama together. As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Now to start on the Panzer Grenadiers.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200429_204706.jpg

resized_20200429_204738.jpg

resized_20200429_204822.jpg

resized_20200429_204851.jpg

resized_20200429_205142.jpg

Great work as usual Manny.  You did a terrific job with those tracks and that "100 year old"  Motorcycle.  I am glad this site is back, it's good to watch you and Lars at work.

Wonderful modeling and painting skills.

D

Proud Kraut

Manny, these figures really bring your tank to life. Excellent poses and perfect paintwork, especially on the (sunny) skin parts!

One additional info, NO critique! You mentioned in your initial post that your dio takes place near Dunkirk in 1940. Two members of your tank crew are wearing the "Einheitsfeldmuetze M43" (m43 field cap) that was introduced in 1943. Until then tank crews were equipped  with Schimmmuetze (peaked cap), Schiffchen, (side cap), Panzerschutzmuetzen (black beret, until 1939/1940)) and helmets of course. As I said, no critique, just an info.

Can´t wait to see the race begin!

12 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

One additional info, NO critique! You mentioned in your initial post that your dio takes place near Dunkirk in 1940. Two members of your tank crew are wearing the "Einheitsfeldmuetze M43" (m43 field cap) that was introduced in 1943. Until then tank crews were equipped  with Schimmmuetze (peaked cap), Schiffchen, (side cap), Panzerschutzmuetzen (black beret, until 1939/1940)) and helmets of course. As I said, no critique, just an info.

Hey Lars, thank you for the info. I knew about the black berets(Panzerschutzmuetzen) being fazed out after the Polish campaign but I didn't know that the field cap was introduced in 1943. Oh well it is what it is. I should have checked some of my reference books a lot better. Thanks again, but since the glue has set I think they'll keep their field caps. ?

Semper Fi.

Manny

ArtyScout

Well I have been working on the next part of my diorama, which is the four Pz. Grenadiers. The figures are the ones from Tamiya, since I did want them riding on the Pz. III. They are not the best, but they offer a lot of different poses. Something that I did not see from some other miniature manufacturers. Anyway here are two pics of the figures primed ( I used Dennis' technique of putty+liquid cement to fill in the gaps) and I've already started painting their uniforms. I also have done their equipment but I only took the pic of their helmets with Heer insignias on their helmets (from Archer Fine Transfers). I hope their uniforms come out just as good.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200502_001656.jpg

resized_20200505_223115.jpg

Proud Kraut

Good choice, I think this is one of the better early Tamiya figure sets.  I have built them as well some years ago and they were a perfect match for my Pz IV.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Manny, these figures really bring your tank to life. Excellent poses and perfect paintwork, especially on the (sunny) skin parts!

Can´t wait to see the race begin!

And the Schiffchen's were Field Grey ones during the Campaign in the West were they not?

Great job ArtyScout. On the heads, were these separate heads? If so perhaps they can be removed and new heads with the sidecaps added?

ArtyScout
14 hours ago, patches said:

And the Schiffchen's were Field Grey ones during the Campaign in the West were they not?

Well I went according to the paint palette of the box art from MiniArt. They were panzer troops so their uniforms were supposed to be black. I know that the Heer had Field Grey caps. Some of the reference materials I've checked also had them in black. The Luftwaffe had a dark blue and the Kriegsmarine uniforms were also black. As for the heads on the tank crews, they're ON, glued in place, so that's it. If I'd known sooner, I might've gotten heads from Alpine Miniatures. I remember Warriors Miniatures used to sell separate heads too. Oh well it is what it is.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut
15 hours ago, patches said:

No, they were black.

ArtyScout

Well the modeling 'Gods' have been kind to me. I was able to remove the 1943 feldmeutz cap. I was going to put on shoulder boards from Archer Fine Transfers but all I had were the ones for Panzer troops. So I ordered more for Pz. Grenadiers and Infantry. I also tried a preliminary posing of the grenadiers to give me an idea. So here they are with no helmets or Schiffchens. I'm going to wait until I put the shoulder boards on before I add the rest of their equipment.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200508_161810.jpg

resized_20200508_161921.jpg

8 hours ago, ArtyScout said:

Well the modeling 'Gods' have been kind to me. I was able to remove the 1943 feldmeutz cap. I was going to put on shoulder boards from Archer Fine Transfers but all I had were the ones for Panzer troops. So I ordered more for Pz. Grenadiers and Infantry. I also tried a preliminary posing of the grenadiers to give me an idea. So here they are with no helmets or Schiffchens. I'm going to wait until I put the shoulder boards on before I add the rest of their equipment.

Semper Fi.

Manny

With the commander you can use a Schirmuetze/ Alter Art, that's if you have one in your spare parts box, the crewman sitting in the turret hatch, perhaps a steel helmet, crews were issued them, later they weren't anymore, officially at least.

image.png.91dde75ce8ce6e391f445bf1544b443b.png

ArtyScout
20 hours ago, patches said:

With the commander you can use a Schirmuetze/ Alter Art, that's if you have one in your spare parts box, the crewman sitting in the turret hatch, perhaps a steel helmet, crews were issued them, later they weren't anymore, officially at least.

image.png.91dde75ce8ce6e391f445bf1544b443b.png

Hey Patches, yeah I have the necessary headgear (Schirmuetze) for the TC and a side cap for the crewman. I was just happy that the other covers came off their heads without any problems.

Semper Fi.

Manny

4 hours ago, ArtyScout said:

Hey Patches, yeah I have the necessary headgear (Schirmuetze) for the TC and a side cap for the crewman. I was just happy that the other covers came off their heads without any problems.

Semper Fi.

Manny

1841531049_thumbsup.png.e60c3aa4a657c83db01ef7be140b802a.png

On 5/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, ArtyScout said:

Semper Fi.

Manny

Those have to be the flattest flat top haircuts I've ever seen!  

Mikie

Well like I had posted earlier, the modelling Gods have been kind to me. So I was able to get the appropriate covers for the tank crew and I was even able to add some dry transfers to them. I'm waiting on some shoulder board (epaulet) transfers for Pz. Grenadiers. If I don't hear from them soon regarding arrival date I might just do them by hand. I'll wait for now and start on the diorama base while I wait. Anyway here are a few pics with the figures with their covers.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200512_152552.jpg

resized_20200512_152619.jpg

resized_20200512_152705.jpg

Well its nice to see WMF back up and running. I've been somewhat busy like Lars and want to post some updates. Well I finally finished the Pz. Grenadiers. First I'll post them by themselves and then I'll put them on the Pz. III. Now comes the base and the rest of the diorama.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200514_232728.jpg

resized_20200514_232801.jpg

resized_20200514_232939.jpg

resized_20200514_233131.jpg

BTW, the figure's shoulder board, collar patches and helmet insignia's are from Archer Fine Transfers. Now for the figures on the Pz. III. As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated, as they were helpful with fixing my figure's head wear. Thank you very, very much.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200518_122702.jpg

resized_20200518_122725.jpg

resized_20200518_122826.jpg

resized_20200518_122845.jpg

I have two more in which I weathered the suspension and soldier's boots with pastels. Depending how my diorama goes I might add more dust and grime.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200518_125208.jpg

resized_20200518_125302.jpg