"The Race To The Channel"

ArtyScout

Proud Kraut

Excellent work so far Manny. I would love to see step-by-step how you do the base for this dio .

Lars

Well I am using MiniArts' Country Diorama #36027. It seems like a very popular kit for dioramas, but of course I'm going to let my artistic nature take over.

Semper Fi.

Manny

36027.jpg

Well I just want to say that I threw myself a curveball in the dirt. Before I start on the diorama base, I decided to add another motorcycle w/side car. The base can be a little expansive and overpower the vehicles so with another vehicle w/figures, the focus is more on the vehicles rolling down the street than the base and houses. So you'll just have to wait awhile longer on the base.

Don't worry I'll post some WIP pics.

Semper Fi

Manny

Proud Kraut

Great, the more race participants the better!

P.S.: Please don´t forget to post the dio base WIP pictures since we do not have any such tutorial over here yet!

23 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Great, the more race participants the better!

P.S.: Please don´t forget to post the dio base WIP pictures since we do not have any such tutorial over here yet!

Hey Lars, don't worry I won't. Here is a WIP photo of the 2nd motorcycle. FYI, the first bike was a BMW R/75 while this one is the Zundapp KS750. So far so good.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200523_140913.jpg

On 5/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, earlymb said:

Interesting choice, it would have been one of the seven prototypes that were being tested then! 😁

More than likely early. Well I finished(?) the bike but I still have to paint the front wheel plate and then get to doing the side car, then the soldiers. Hope you like it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200526_002318.jpg

resized_20200526_002355.jpg

Well here is the Zundapp with the figures and weathered with pastels. I still have one more thing to add though, I have to add the MG 34 ammo drum. I can't believe I can't find one. I'm going to have to kitbash one. Hopefully now I'll be able to start the diorama base. Thank you for looking and all critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200601_154122.jpg

resized_20200601_154159.jpg

resized_20200601_154222.jpg

resized_20200601_154240.jpg

resized_20200601_154326.jpg

resized_20200601_154407.jpg

Well I've begun on the diorama base and structures. Instead of going for a "country" diorama look, I've decided to make it more of a village setting; (I already have the village in mind). Luckily the kit came with parts to make it that way and I also have extra parts. So I'll let my artistic creativity take over.  

resized_20200603_223346.jpg

resized_20200607_171812.jpg

resized_20200605_232327.jpg

Well the cottage is basically done, now to put it together and weather it. But first I'm adding the sewer drain, grass turf, wrought iron fence and tree. Then I'll start on the house. Wish me luck. LOL.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200612_002033.jpg

Proud Kraut

These MiniArts houses are tough to build. I found it nearly impossible to glue the two halfs of my house ruin together. It finally worked with a kind of foam filler, lol. But the detail of the small parts was excellent. Great build so far!

23 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

These MiniArts houses are tough to build. I found it nearly impossible to glue the two halfs of my house ruin together. It finally worked with a kind of foam filler, lol. But the detail of the small parts was excellent. Great build so far!

Yes Lars, you are so correct about gluing these buildings together. But the details of the buildings and base are great. I will post some pics later. I had to stop last night because it was late. I need to glue on the roof and gutters.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Well I got the cottage built and weathered. I really didn't want the cottage looking like the box art, but it did, except for the door and window trim. Believe me the house will have a different color scheme. I also was able to put a sewer drain in the base. Next is the ground foliage, tree, iron fence and then onto the big house. Enjoy the pics.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200614_211106.jpg

resized_20200614_211514.jpg

resized_20200614_211710.jpg

Proud Kraut

I like the color combination of this cottage very much. The weathering is excellent. Could you tell us a little bit more about how you painted/weathered the cobblestone road? Great work so far.

7 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

I like the color combination of this cottage very much. The weathering is excellent. Could you tell us a little bit more about how you painted/weathered the cobblestone road? Great work so far.

Hey Lars, thanks for the comment. As for the cobblestone street & sidewalk, I use a saturation technique.

1) I use "Soot" (50/50 mixture of Flat Black & Flat Brown) with Alcohol and saturate the entire cobblestone area, as a wash.

2) Once that dries I use a Red Brown wash for the crevices.

3) After that dries then I use Light Grey to dry brush to recover and highlight the cobblestones, bricks or rubble that might be on the base. You can use as little or as much Lt. Grey to highlight the cobblestones. That "artistic inspiration" part is entirely up to you. 

4) Usually if I'm happy with the look then I use Dullcote to seal it. 

And that's it. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi.

Manny