Studio photos of Japanese soldiers

Bob Hudson

These were in a WWII vets photo album. Most of the photos are roughly 2x3 inches - a couple have writing on the back and one is mounted on what looks to me like an ID card.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Great photos Bob. I especially like the id card never having seen one before.

Those are names on the back of the two photos. Eric could probably read the first names but I can't. Last names are; 田中 Tanaka and 山内 Yamauchi.

The id card is for someone in the Sasebo area. Right side; 注意 Attention Left side; 佐世保 Sasebo 鎭守府 Garrison District. Navy 海軍 in the main body text.

In the last pic the document dated January 7, 1944 looks like it may be a navy conscript notification of service if they are similar to the army ones, stamped in blue on the left side it says 佐世保 海軍 Sasebo Navy 施設部 Facility Department 長部 Department Leader Tanaka

Thanks Rod. Do the photos have any official purpose or are they for sending to the folks back home?

To me these photos look like formal studio shots, perhaps meant for family and friends.

The triangles attached to tunic pockets in a number of the photos are of interest, certainly not standard uniform insignia. Possibly to identify a small unit?

Thanks for sharing them.

The triangles attached to tunic pockets in a number of the photos are of interest, certainly not standard uniform insignia. Possibly to identify a small unit?

Thanks for sharing them.

There are two different kinds

triangle.jpg

triangle-2.jpg

Thanks Bob!

I squinted some at your photos trying to make out details of the triangle badges. It would be so cool to find one of these tunics with the badge still attached.

Cheers!