Unknown Navy Uniform

mkite93

New to this forum but I wanted some opinions on identifying this navy uniform. It appears old and in the German style but Im at a loss on this one. Any help is appreciated.

post-197819-0-36082300-1586199187_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the information. I have been looking for a any photos of similar uniforms but have had no luck. Any idea of the time period for this one I was initially thinking WWI era or shortly after because of the style but still unsure.

I was going strictly from the buttons if you google Austrian navy buttons you will find several pictures, mostly of the WWI buttons with an anchor and crown inside an O (for Osterreich, Austria in German). When Austria became a republic after WWI the crown was removed. So I would assume this uniform was used some time between WWI and the German take over at the beginning of WWII. This is probably a fairly rare uniform since Austria is a land locked nation they were never a major sea power and were on the losing side in WWI they could not have had much of a navy at all. I would not rule out that it was used by the merchant marine. This style of jacket was popular in Europe before WWII as a dress uniform I have not seen them used after the war but they may have been brought back as a ceremonial uniform or something, it would require more research.