c. 1815-21 Celtic-Hilted Heavy Cavalry Officer's Sword

stratasfan

It is a "celtic-hilted" heavy cavalry officer's sword made around 1815-1821. They are usually associated with officer's of the 4th Dragoons. These normally had a rare form of blade called a quill-point. This sword has a maker's cartouche on the scabbard which may help to date the sword. Unfortunately, can't really make it out. 

There is no family member who fits the service that this sword probably was for. Any thoughts are welcome, if you have more to add or anything to say about this sword! We are assuming it must have been collected by the family and not actually used by one of them in service.

16.JPG

• 1 year later...

So far, there's no more information coming on this blade, but if I get anything else, I'll be sure to post. It's a bit of a mystery, as no family member seems to fit in terms of matching military service to blade.

A wonderful sword that I have yet to add to my collection. A closeup of the name on the scabbard may help even if you can't quite make it out, someone else may have one that is legible that matches.

Any luck finding a closeup photo of the engraving on the scabbard? If not send it to me and I'll let you know lol !!!  This is one pattern of sword I truly admire.

It could use professional cleaning up and a coating of renaissance Wax to prevent future corrosion.  I'm quite good at it if I say so myself!