Help to identify a nationalist Chinese award

B Gill

My grandfather was in China with the 4 Marine in the late 1930s and early 40s. He is wearing a neck award that I believe was given to him by the Chinese government. The ribbon is green if I remember correctly. Does anyone know what this medal is and would have been awarded for?

Thanks for your help. Brad Gill

9B038439-4F46-451F-AC86-8EBC1DE07BA7.jpeg

I don't think the Chinese would have used a Maltese  cross for a medal. To me it looks a lot like the Masonic Knights Templar Order of Malta membership medal, which I have found in many veteran's groupings, even though it has no military connection.

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 2.12.03 PM.png

Thank you. The photo I posted is not as clear as the original for some reason. There appears to be a year on the upper arc, a V on the front and what appears to be Chinese characters on the front. I’ll try posting it again.

B6929151-D848-402B-BC9E-AD6D4349442B.jpeg

Wharfmaster

It would appear a Victory in China button has been added to a Knights Templar Medal.  I think I have one of those victory buttons/pins in my stuff somewhere.

Very odd.

Wharf

58 minutes ago, Wharfmaster said:

It would appear a Victory in China button has been added to a Knights Templar Medal.  I think I have one of those victory buttons/pins in my stuff somewhere.

Very odd.

The Chinese would not have used a Christian cross for an official medal - that'd be like putting Buddah on a US medal - but I could see something like this being given to a Mason on occupation duty and the medal would have been worn once: when it was presented in a non-military ceremony. 

Wharfmaster
9 hours ago, Bob Hudson said:

The Chinese would not have used a Christian cross for an official medal - that'd be like putting Buddah on a US medal - but I could see something like this being given to a Mason on occupation duty and the medal would have been worn once: when it was presented in a non-military ceremony. 

I also don't believe the Chinese added the victory pin the cross. My guess, added by the vet himself for some unknown reason.  

I doubt the Knights Templar would modify their official membership badge/medal in this way. 

Wharf

That is a Friends of China pin. V for victory and has the year 1946. On the reverse shows 北平市各界敬贈。I am not to sure what some of it means. 北平市,means Peking. The other part is probably some organization.

There is some reunion piece that has the same pin, but with a 2002 added on below it. I think it was some China Marine reunion? I can't remember right now.

I collect Chinese medals, the ROC national medals don't really have a cross. Ever since Chinese medals were first awarded, they were heavily influenced by European medals. I don't recall one using a maltese cross, but I wouldn't be surprised if some local warlord in the 1920s or some province or city medal may have used it. There were some Christians back then, even Chiang was a Methodist himself.

Thank you very much. That is definitely the pin. Interesting that it’s made into a neck medal and has the added cross. Now I wish grandpa was still here to ask more about it. 

Your welcome. I tried to look it up on both google and chinese search engines, but couldn't find much. But my Chinese is limited so I had to do a lot of google translate lol. It is maybe a gift in return for a donation of money? Or maybe something given as a give for the Americans being here, but it is kind of small for that.

Do you still have the pin?

Another thing to add, I think these seem to be made out of silver. I have one and it has tarnish and kind of has that high pitch ding like silver.