gwb123

New Photo Features!

As we are all settling into the new look for the WMF, we have great news regarding photo posting.

When you are creating a post or replying to an existing post, you will see the following:

"Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."

Drag files is literally that.  On your computer open your photo files, grab a photo with your pointer and drag it to the middle of the new post.

And the best part... the new system will automatically resize the photo for you!  

Now logically, there is a limit to this.  The Admins have been experimenting, but unless you post something huge, it seems to work pretty well.

The following test image was posted by Bob Hudson.  As he noted, our previous our limit was 800 pixels on the largest size. Per Bob: "But the new software supposedly shrinks the photos for us and saves them to the server at a reduced size. That's important because we pay to store a lot of images. This one is 3500 pixels wide, three times the size of the typical image stored on our servers: so now we can have let users upload without shrinking images, but we still get smaller files, and the images should display larger than they did before. That's the theory anyway."

image.png

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

So here is my experiment:

With the previous limits, this was photo that was on my thread about Luftwaffe aircraft at the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH.  This one maxed out at 800 pixels wide.

image.png

And below it was when I took the same photo straight from my file image and let the system resize it.  See the difference?

image.png

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Of course, if you have photo shop, you can still tweak your photos for even more clarity.  On this set, I went from a resolution of 72 to 200.  In this case I had to reduce the photo from a physical size of 60 inches to 10.  Otherwise I exceeded the ability of the system to resize the photo.  But by boosting the resolution, it allowed for an even clearer photo.

image.png

image.png

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

In sum, we now have the ability for easier posting and to have larger, clearer photos.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

40 minutes ago, gwb123 said:

In sum, we now have the ability for easier posting and to have larger, clearer photos.

And they will automatically resize depending on your screen size.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE!

We've made another discovery, but this one comes with a caveat.

Apparently you can copy a photo from another website (or another thread on the Forum) and past it into your post.

The caveat is that we still must ask you make sure you provide a citation or a link back to where you found it.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/bob/111s.htm

Per Bob Hudson: "Now though those images are saved to our server so there's no link to go bad."  This is not the same as directing to an outside photo hosting website that is liable to disappear a few years down the road.

These HE-111s are from the movie The Battle of Britain.

image.png

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

This is great!  I think the only thing left for us to do is crop out extraneous aspects of our photos so the subject matter's details get enlarged for good viewing. 

Kyle  

ok i have had very bad luck adding photos to the other forum. my photos are still to big . i tried both ways. the best site i feel for uploading photos is the gun boards system

this is disappointing to me i have lots of cool stuff i would like to share but i do not share it because it is very frustrating  to spend 45 minutes or more resizing and uploading photos just to have no one comment at all it feels like a waist of time. on the other forums where i feel content is easy to post it does not feel like such a waist of time to post and no one comment.

3 hours ago, jeeplover said:

ok i have had very bad luck adding photos to the other forum. my photos are still to big . i tried both ways. the best site i feel for uploading photos is the gun boards system

The "other forum" will have these same features once the update is complete

And look at how nice those helmets look. ;)

GERMAN-SOLDIERS-GERMAN-ARMY-WW2-COLOR-LARGE-IMAGES-PICTURES-helmets-north-africa.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

Just like being there! ?

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

Love this new feature!!

Just tried it out and it worked great. 

Many thanks.

why do i still need to resize? lets eliminate some things. i have tried both phone pictures and camera. both my computers i use are less than a year old so unless they are outdated already. why is it telling me to big and not auto resizing.

14 minutes ago, jeeplover said:

why do i still need to resize? lets eliminate some things. i have tried both phone pictures and camera. both my computers i use are less than a year old so unless they are outdated already. why is it telling me to big and not auto resizing.

We are still tweaking the settings: this is a total remake of the forum software we first started using in 2006 and we've had to absorb a lot of new stuff. 

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE!