Hinomaru flag I picked up cheap

MattS

It's shiny like silk, but thicker and heavier, so I assume this is rayon (but I'm not going to burn it to find out).  It has leather reinforced tabs in two corners with short lengths of rope. I've had it hanging for a few months to try and relax some of the folds. Any comments welcome! 

IJA.jpg

To me it looks like something actually made to be a flag as opposed to a good luck hinomaru carried folded up in a pocket. 

9 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

It's a wartime national flag

Thank you for that! My Japanese collection is small but now I can add this flag to it.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, History Brick said:

This is a typical civilian national flag  

Thanks! That's what I figured as well, but with so many reproductions of everything out there it's nice to know you can still get original wartime flags for $20. 

I must not understand the terminology, "The national flag of Japan is a rectangular white banner bearing a crimson-red disc at its center. This flag is officially called Nisshōki, but is more commonly known in Japan as Hinomaru. It embodies the country's sobriquet: Land of the Rising Sun."

Fortunes Of War

This flag is a Japanese national flag.  The Japanese Diet (Congress or Parliament, if you will), formally adopted this as the national flag in August of 1999.  Up until that time, laws concerning flag regulations had not been regulated.  Officially, the Japanese national flag was not "the" flag until that time.  The truth is that before that time, most people recognized the flag with white field and round, red center as the Japanese national flag (this is all a bit redundant sounding I know, sorry!)

The word "hinomaru" (sun's circle) is the Japanese word for their national flag.  The posted photograph is of the Japanese national flag or "hinomaru".  The Japanese also call it the national "hata" or flag.  A "hinomaru yosegaki" is a Japanese national flag (hinomaru), that has been signed with names or messages, etc.  When there is writing on the flag that goes out from the red, sun in the center you have a "hinomaru yosegaki".  Those words indicate a Japanese national flag (hinomaru) with sideways writing (yosegaki) that goes out from the sun.    

Mike

2 hours ago, Fortunes Of War said:

This flag is a Japanese national flag.  

The word "hinomaru" (sun's circle) is the Japanese word for their national flag.  The posted photograph is of the Japanese national flag or "hinomaru". 

That was my understanding, hinomaru was the plain national flag as opposed to one with writing (hinomaru yosegaki), or the "Rising Sun" battle flag (Kyokujitsu-ki). 

Being as it is a WW2-era flag, it will work in my wartime display. Thanks for the information!

Fortunes Of War

Your understanding of the terms is correct.

Mike

Fortunes Of War

No worries; it is a little convoluted trying to piece together the terms and yet still get the overall meaning.

Mike